Beginer dslr HELP

Ethan.NZ

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi guys
I'm looking to get my first dslr. Would anyone be able to give me some advice on what camera to get. I'm sick of getting bias advice from
Retailers!!!. I don't mind getting second hand gear off trade me, in fact I prefer it because it is much cheaper. Some people have told me to go for older equipment but higher up in the range if you know what I mean. What are your opinions on that? Here are a few cameras that have been recommended or cameras that I have liked from my research.
Nikon d40x
Nikon d3000
Canon 1000d & 1100d
Canon 400d
Nikon d80
Nikon d60

I am having problems being able to test most of these because as you can see most of them are old. I am open minded and open to your recommendations. Thanks for your help

I recommend starting with something really cheap like the Canon XS or even the XTI. Both can be found on Craiglist or even eBay for less than $200-300 depending.
My first dSLR was a Canon XSi and I eventually moved my way up.
It is better to have a better lens than a better camera with a crappy lens.
Lens you should consider buying: 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 standard kit lens IS and the 50mm f/1.8
Play around with it first to see if you actually like photography. It's not worth buying all these expensive equipment and you decided you either don't like photography or leave them in your closet.
I'm sure as you advance through the profession level, you'll starting using a $1000+ lens and a $2000+ body.
Also check for Amazon for deals.

Thank you I do definitely enjoy photography I have used friends cameras and my own point and shoot camera I'm just looking for a step up . My point and shoot camera is 12 MP but the xs and xti are just 10MP is that something to worry about? And what about the new 1100d with a higher resolution?

What is your budget?
Of your list? I'd choose none of the above.
if I had no choice but to choose from it I'd have to say maybe the D80

Hi well I live In new Zealand and things are alot more expensive here than anywhere else. What would you choose then if none from the list. I am buying second hand off trade me which is the new Zealand eBay

What is your budget?
Of your list? I'd choose none of the above.
if I had no choice but to choose from it I'd have to say maybe the D80
:)
It's a decent camera!

Most reactions

Back