****BEGINNER ALERT**** FEEDBACK PLEASE :)

sugarberri

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
My sister asked me to take some photo's of her son for Halloween & this is what I got out of it. I'm having a really hard time with exposure, ISO, shadows and White balance! HELP PLEASE :) :confused:

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum - one point, you are going to get more "feedback" if you pick a few of these images that you wish to have folks comment on, and post them here - please number them if you do post here. Most people, including me, are reluctant to click on a link, because of potential for virus infections and other "nasty" things, not that you would ever create that sort of situation, but who knows what is dwelling in their images after they post them.

Cheers,

WesternGuy

Thank you for being nice enough to respond :) I have been trying and trying to upload my pictures but for some reason they keep saying that they are undefined! & thanks for the tip!

In a lot of these, I noticed either unflattering crops (#2, #5, #6 his head is cut off partially). I feel like #3 would have been cute, but it looks like it's backfocused on the corn behind the child. #4 makes the child's head size look awkward, and is not generally flattering. I'd say keep an eye out for correct focus--it looks like only two of these are entirely in focus.

They look like a collection of snap shots. #3 has the most potential but you missed focus. Are you doing anything in post? The selective coloring in #6 doesn't work well with this shot. And it looks like it's bleeding over the bandana.
It looks like you were going after that candid look but there is a fine line between candid and snapshot. Be careful.

In a lot of these, I noticed either unflattering crops (#2, #5, #6 his head is cut off partially). I feel like #3 would have been cute, but it looks like it's backfocused on the corn behind the child. #4 makes the child's head size look awkward, and is not generally flattering. I'd say keep an eye out for correct focus--it looks like only two of these are entirely in focus.

I cropped ALOT of them because of sun glares I just can't seem to get ANY good shots without shadows or glares from sun & the out of focus pictures are from a poor camera (it just wont focus for long so I bought a tripod hopefully it will help) & a VERY VERY active 1yr old lol he would NOT stand still for a second! But thank you so much for the feedback I was so sure that the first thing everyone would say would be about my ugly sun glares & shadows! LOL

They look like a collection of snap shots. #3 has the most potential but you missed focus. Are you doing anything in post? The selective coloring in #6 doesn't work well with this shot. And it looks like it's bleeding over the bandana.
It looks like you were going after that candid look but there is a fine line between candid and snapshot. Be careful.

I totally wasn't going for a snap shot look LOL! Okay I'm extra new to this photography thing so whats post? How would you have made these shots better & how do you keep the sun from ruining your shots? Hope you don't mind the questions! :)

Post is editing. Shooting in midday sun isn't the best. Find some shade or something. They do look like snapshots. Not sure if your familiar with composition like the rule or thirds. You should look it up if not.

Also selective color doesn't work the way you did it. Shouldn't the child be the main focus? By coloring the bandana you are taking attention away from the subject. Most people do selective coloring wrong so I wouldn't worry about it. But keep in mind that selective color is a tool and it's meant to like emphasize the subject/focus. Did that make any sense? :)

There is only 1 picture where he is actually looking at the camera. Kids are hard but interact with them and play games.

#1 - the background is too busy and looks like the color/WB is off. He's obviously looking at something and pointing - but what. It's a snapshot because it's not composed. You saw a chance so you took the photo. It'll get easier with time.

#2 again he's not looking at you do there's no connection. Busy background and he has a bush growing out of his head. His head and shoulders/arms are cropped. Watch your backgrounds. The stuff in the back doesn't add anything to the image and that is kinda what makes a snapshot.

#3 - best of the bunch. We can see his eyes and he was actually looking at the camera. The lighting is poor and its too bad you cropped A little part of him. The black and white is muddy - it needs some contrast. I can show you what I mean if you want. It's hard to get a nice b/w conversion if the exposure and everything else isn't right on. Was this in camera or in an editing program?

#4 - its not visually pleasing. Maybe if you had moved a little so we could see More of the front of his face. Still a side shot but a little of the face.

#5 snapshot. You cropped parts of him off and there is a busy background.

#6 - would have been better if he was looking at you. Selective color ruins the picture.

Do some research on composition and lighting and practice. There is a lot to learn but it's fun!

Post is editing. Shooting in midday sun isn't the best. Find some shade or something. They do look like snapshots. Not sure if your familiar with composition like the rule or thirds. You should look it up if not.

Also selective color doesn't work the way you did it. Shouldn't the child be the main focus? By coloring the bandana you are taking attention away from the subject. Most people do selective coloring wrong so I wouldn't worry about it. But keep in mind that selective color is a tool and it's meant to like emphasize the subject/focus. Did that make any sense? :)

I read that the worst time to take photos are during 10:00 a.m. & 2:00p.m. is that correct? Well I tried this method I went early in the morning around 9a.m. and I took some test shoots of my nephew in the shade & I still got shadows in some I don't know what I'm doing wrong! I'm going to look up the rule of thirds I'm like a sponge soaking this up lol so if you have any more tips that you would like to share I'm all for it! Thanks!

Probably - I think it might be later than 2. The best time is around sunrise and sunset. What shadows are you talking about? At noontime there shouldn't be any shadows. The way the face looks in the black and white photo - is that what you mean?

Probably - I think it might be later than 2. The best time is around sunrise and sunset. What shadows are you talking about? At noontime there shouldn't be any shadows. The way the face looks in the black and white photo - is that what you mean?

Yes in the black and white photo and also the sun glares really bother me ugh!! & thanks for going one by one and pointing out my problems I see what you mean with the busy background & him not looking I didn't think it would be so hard to get him to look but it was HARD lol I have been looking up tips on how to get him to look at the camera more. Do you have any sites that you would recommend for a beginner?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back