Beginner - Any tips for the noob?

awkwardturtle

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So here it is. I'm a beginner at the photography world. As of a few months ago, the only experience I had with SLR photography was with my dad's D40 Nikon that he sparingly let me use. I finally scrounged up enough money to buy my own (Nikon D90) and am finally starting to have the freedom to bring my camera around with me. Now, are there any tips that I can have to improve? I won't say I'm a TOTAL noob, I have some experience and I know the 'this and that' of beginner photography, but PPLEEAASE, I want some tips.

Post some images.. This will help us see where your skill set is, thus being able to point you in the right direction.

Welcome to the forum and to the world of photography. I would hit the local library for books on photography as well as on-line resources. There's a lot to learn but it's a lot of fun too. The congrats on getting the D90 it's a good, solid camera, maybe your dad can borrow it sometimes, if he asks nicely enough. :D

wabbyir said:
Hi awkwardturtle,
I was a noob member some time ago....and got hammered by those troll creatures on this site that pretend to care about Photograghy,Please don`t ask for advice here,these creatures will find many ways of putting you down and crushing your creativity,find another site...one that won`t put your name up as BANNED on the internet because some skank female moderator has a bad day.
and Mods?? You did the wrong thing...I`m back and now I`m major leauge pest.
Game on.

Nothing like telling the mods that your back! You probably won't be a major league pest for long since you were obviously banned before!

Awkward turtle,
Don't listen to them. This is a great forum full of knowledgable people!

Hey Turtle, try not to shoot in direct sunlight. If you can skip school or work on a cloudy day and take photos all day that's what I tend to try to do. Don't use the Easy setting, it's horrible. P is like easy, so you could start with that. Also the picture settings are horrible too. If you want to stop action (sports, water) put it to Tv and make sure the number is 200 or more...

Congrats on the D90 and welcome. Here's a link that I reffer to all the time. It covers pretty much everything you'd need to get going. Keep shooting and have fun.

The outline on the left of the page is all clickable links.

GoingManual.com ::

"Split the difference". General advice for when a judgement call is required.

So here it is. I'm a beginner at the photography world. As of a few months ago, the only experience I had with SLR photography was with my dad's D40 Nikon that he sparingly let me use. I finally scrounged up enough money to buy my own (Nikon D90) and am finally starting to have the freedom to bring my camera around with me. Now, are there any tips that I can have to improve? I won't say I'm a TOTAL noob, I have some experience and I know the 'this and that' of beginner photography, but PPLEEAASE, I want some tips.

This is a great place to get to good but strong advise. My suggestion is shoot some with you new D90 and post the here for some C&C. Only post a few maybe 3, 4 max. This way you get C&C on each.

What was your name before you got banned?

Welcome to the site awkwardturtle :)

What was your name before you got banned?

Psst Mish - wabbyir was the returned person, but they are gone now; existing only in the quotation in the thread awkwardturtle isn't the returned member .

I guess it helps if you read the whole thread. Thanks for clearing that up!! lol

Most reactions

New Topics

Back