Beginner Book Recommendations

Wondercapture

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Any book recommendations for beginning photographers (I have an Minolta x-700 SLR that I have barely used). I would like to find something that I could refer to.

"Photography" by London, Upton, Stone, Kobre, and Brill. (EIGHTH edition or which ever is the latest).

This is probably the BEST book by far for anyone who even thinks of pursuing photography as a hobby. It's always held wide acclaim. It's extremely in-depth, and in full-color.

Kind of expensive though (get it used if you can), and many photography programs in universities require it as a textbook. It's been updated to cover digital photography as well.

It covers history, exposure/metering, film, lenses, DOF, printing, lighting, B&W, color, view cameras, lighting, zone system, photoshop editing...well, basically gives sufficient info about everything.

hmm nope... I learned from watching many shots and from TPF :) but honestly... the only guide I used was the National's Geographic series "Photography" released on 4 cds

I too would highly suggest John Hedgecoe's books. I believe his latest one is "The New Manual of Photography". An excellent book that explains everything in easy to understand sections. Lots of good photos, diagrams and examples. You will not be disapointed with it.

I have not seen, "Photography" by London, Upton, Stone, Kobre, and Brill" so I can't comment on it.

Basic Techniques of Photography by John Schaefer

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0821225758/qid=1106518855/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/002-6604989-6958447?v=glance&s=books]Amazon Link[/ame]

I also agree with John Hedgecoe and his books. I got one of his books at a library book sale for a few dollars, and what a gold mine it turned out to be.

I have Photography by Upton ... and it's a great book,cover a lot of the aspects of photography.Mine is the seventh edition.By all means get it.

Henry Horenstein wrote 3 books about film photography that aren't too expensive, and are really easy to understand.
"Black & White Photography: A Basic Manual"
"Beyond Basic Photography: A Technical Manual"
"Color Photography"

Thanks for your advice, but I just purchased The Basic Guide to Photography (5th Edition) by somebody Grimm. It's very helpful and has explanations and recommendations for everything. It is 642 pages and only $22!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back