Beginner can anyone give me advice?.

xoxkimxox

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi I am new to the photography side of things I have used editing software for quite a number of years now editing pictures but nothing in depth. Can anyone advise me the best dlsr camera to get starting with I am on a bit of a budget too but probably will upgrade once I get into the photography. I am looking to do a part time course at College and see where I go from there.
Also just wondering the best editing software I have Adobe Lightroom and Photoshop Cs5 at the minute
Any advice would be great
Thanks
Kim

The word 'budget' does not imply a given dollar amount. It can mean $2, $20, $200, $2000, $20000 or even $20000000.

So how about a real dollar amount for your budget so we have an idea what you can afford?

Hi Kim

Here are the cameras I would recommend going from the good and cheap to the better and a bit more expensive

Nikon D3200-excellent camera, excellent value for money, used this camera and was very impressed with it
Nikon D5200-slightly better camera with an articulating screen and better Auto Focus system
Nikon D5300-slightly better then the D5200 but not by much
Get one of these cameras with the kit lens 18-55mm and add to that (if you have the cash) one or 2 more lenses
Telefoto-Nikon 55-200mm VR
And for lower light photography and portraits Nikon 50mm 1.8G

Good luck

Depends on how much money you have to spend...the lowest cost d-slrs would be used ones bought from a big used dealer, like KEH.com. For those on a tight budget, the slightly older camera like the Nikon D80 or D90 are now bringing $110-$125 or so on the real-world used market at photography supply stores and pawn shops that specialize in electronics/cameras; the BIGGEST web dealers that are not KEH.com often have used camera prices that are higher than what one finds in medium-sized cities, because they have huge, nation-wide "reach".

There is no "best" d-slr for a beginner.The small, lower-end D40,D40x,D60,D3000,D5000 Nikons can use basically ANY Nikon F-mount lens ever made, even the old 1960's and 1970's manual focus lenses, so they can be equipped with, literally $10 and $20 pawn shop lenses that will mount, and shoot, manual focus and no metering, but they WILL accept 99.999% of all lenses ever made in F-mount.

If you have $300-$400, I would buy a newer Nikon D3000-series or D5000-series model and an 18-55 kit zoom. See Goodguy's post #3 above...the 55-200 VR would be a nice telephoto lens to have; the 35mm f/1.8 DX-Nikkor lens would be another good optional lens to own with one of the cameras he suggests.

Sorry yes missed that bit out £200-£300 to spend

If your looking at a photography course and on a budget then I also recommend a used camera.
I bought a used D200 (as a backup to my D200) for $200 a few years ago. It came with a grip, two batteries in the grip, charger and memory card.

This is a good camera for a photography course (the person I bought it from used it for a college course and sold it six months later).

You can find a used lens to go with it and still be inside your budget. I would go with the 50mm f/1.8 D lens (that has an aperture ring) and is very cheap.

For that price maybe you can get a used Nikon D3200 or D5100 with the kit lens

Most reactions

New Topics

Back