Beginner Film SLR

G

gtwosaints

Well since the price for a DSLR is so high, I won't be able to get one, and digital cameras in my price range don't have the features I need, I'm going to go for a film SLR. Digital has always seemed a little overrated to me because I don't like the process of printing them and film has always seemed to be better memories and my dad agrees. So, I've been wanting to get into photography for quite a while. So, I have $200-ish for a film SLR (used or new), lens, and film. I'll probably be doing all around photography, from portraits to B&W. Do you have any recommendations?

Canon AE-1 can be found inexpencive with ease. Lenses should not cost too much either, but they will not mount to a dSLR later on down the road, Diffrent mount system entirely.

I personally prefer the Canon EF Body over the AE-1 but they are a little harder to come by and quickley get out of the 200 dollar price range.

Both Bodies use Canon FD mount lenses and should have with them a 50mm or 55mm factory lens (but, I won't garentee it will but)

Pentax 35mm SLRs (the ones with the bayonet mount lenses, called
"K-mount") have the advantage that their lenses will also work on digital SLR
cameras should you decide to go that route later.

Nikon lenses work both film and digital as well. So I would go for either 70's Nikon film body......or I highly recommend the Canon A-1, I have one and love it and lenses are real cheap as well

+1 for the Pentax.

I also like the Nikon FE series. It's electronically controlled, so you can use the camera on the fly more easily than you can with a full manual camera.

The B&H catalog still lists a few film SLR's in your price range....

Vivitar V3800N w/28-70 lens (K-Mount) $159.95
Canon EOS Rebel K2 w/28-90 lens $189.95
Nikon FM10 w/35-70 lens $249.95

...in the event you want something new!

Nikon F4 or F5, they are THE pro SLR's of their time.

I want one.

Edit: Oh, a SLR for $200? Pentax's are nice and like nealjpage said, Nikon FE is a good auto camera.

The B&H catalog still lists a few film SLR's in your price range....

Vivitar V3800N w/28-70 lens (K-Mount) $159.95
Canon EOS Rebel K2 w/28-90 lens $189.95
Nikon FM10 w/35-70 lens $249.95

...in the event you want something new!

Keep in mind the average price of todays lenses. A $200 budget won't go very far. That is why the older bodies are to the advantage of tight budget buyers.

I can get dozen or more lenses for the price of one of the more common preowned modern lenses.

My vote goes to a Pentax, like a K1000. That thing is famous for a reason. I recently bought one with a 28mm prime for $70 on Ebay, so I'm sure for $200 you would be able to equip yourself even more adequately.

Well since the price for a DSLR is so high, I won't be able to get one, and digital cameras in my price range don't have the features I need, I'm going to go for a film SLR. Digital has always seemed a little overrated to me because I don't like the process of printing them and film has always seemed to be better memories and my dad agrees. So, I've been wanting to get into photography for quite a while. So, I have $200-ish for a film SLR (used or new), lens, and film. I'll probably be doing all around photography, from portraits to B&W. Do you have any recommendations?

I'm also trying to get into film photography, I looked around on craigslist, and found deal, and I did a bit of bargaining. I got a black Nikon FM, a f1.4 lens 50mm lens, a f 3.5 35-70 zoom, and a f 2.8 28mm lens for $100.

I believe you can pick up a Nikon 90s AF camera with a fairly cheap zoom for the $200.

I'm also trying to get into film photography, I looked around on craigslist, and found deal, and I did a bit of bargaining. I got a black Nikon FM, a f1.4 lens 50mm lens, a f 3.5 35-70 zoom, and a f 2.8 28mm lens for $100.

Thats pretty good:thumbup:

I just got a Minolta 700si from ebay for $40. I really wanted a full manual camera but I also wanted something that used the same lenses as my Sony DSLR. I have the two Sony kit lenses plus a 50mm 1.7 Minolta Prime that I snagged for $20.

Well, I'll put my recommendation in as well! I think that the Nikon FE is a great slr for the price and it can use the non-AI, AI, and AIS lenses which opens up a huge selection of lenses to choose from. On ebay you should be able to pick up an FE for around $60 and then get a couple of lenses with the remainder of the money.

If you wanted to spend a bit more on the body I would recommend the FM-2 which has a faster shutter speed, and still can take all the nikon lenses.

Minolta has a lot available and you can get a good system going for $200. Get a Minolta sr- or X- series camera. They take MC/MD mount lenses which are made by everybody and come in a great variety of focal lengths. You could get an XG-M, a 28-200 macro zoom, a tripod, a cable and a little film for that money. Look on eBay for the camera and the lens. Anyway, good luck and ask us ANY questions you have, that's why we're here.

Most reactions

Back