Beginner here. Suggestions for DSLR?

radrebellion

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm a beginner photographer (and by beginner, I truly mean I've only picked up a DSLR a couple of times) and I have a class that requires the use of a DSLR.

I've been looking around for a relatively cheap, but good quality camera and I was considering purchasing a Canon EOS Rebel T2i / 550D 18.0 MP DSLR Camera w/ EF-S IS 18-55mm Lens.

Should I get this camera? If not, what other suggestions do you have for a beginner's camera. I don't need anything really fancy, but I would like a camera that takes good quality pictures at at relatively fair price point that a college student can afford.

Much thanks in advance!

Thats a fine camera that you can learn very well on, and even takes great pictures. I started on the t31 which was just a minor upgrade to the t2. I think youll be very happy with that camera.

Hello,

I'm a beginner photographer (and by beginner, I truly mean I've only picked up a DSLR a couple of times) and I have a class that requires the use of a DSLR.

I've been looking around for a relatively cheap, but good quality camera and I was considering purchasing a Canon EOS Rebel T2i / 550D 18.0 MP DSLR Camera w/ EF-S IS 18-55mm Lens.

Should I get this camera? If not, what other suggestions do you have for a beginner's camera. I don't need anything really fancy, but I would like a camera that takes good quality pictures at at relatively fair price point that a college student can afford.

Much thanks in advance!
I assume you are looking for second hand camera ?
Or do you want new ?

The t2i has been discontinued for a long time.

For a first DSLR purchase I think it's important to research and decide not just the camera that meets your needs but also what system (product line) will meet your future needs. Once you buy in to a line and start to accumulate the necessary accessories, it's difficult to justify a switch.

The t2i and kit lens is a very competent camera. Buying Canon 1st means that you are buying into the Canon system as well which, like Nikon, is a very good and extensive system.

Last edited:
Before proposing any camera, is it your intention to keep learning photography so it becomes a new hobby, or you just need a camera for this class? That will make a huge difference in the camera I would suggest.

I assume you are looking for second hand camera ?
Or do you want new ?

The t2i has been discontinued for a long time.

I'm purchasing the camera used.

Before proposing any camera, is it your intention to keep learning photography so it becomes a new hobby, or you just need a camera for this class? That will make a huge difference in the camera I would suggest.

Well, the field that I am interested in (graphic design) uses photography often so I do want to learn more about it and improve on my photographing abilities, but I am just searching for a camera that will launch me into the world of photography. I'm looking for one that's good for a beginner to handle. Though I understand that there are better cameras with much better features, I don't think I will need an exorbitant amount of features that I either won't use or won't understand how to use with my first DSLR.

Assuming the camera is in good operating condition, it should more than do the job for you.

Most reactions

Back