Beginner looking for a good Macro lens

morninglightphoto

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm a newbie here! I've always been involved in photography as a hobby, but have begun to invest more time recently. I'm looking for a good middle of the road macro lens for me canon rebel t2i. I love photographing newborns and my own small children, and am looking for something that will easily give me fine details such as eyelashes and little fingers. I have the lens that came with the kit, as well as a 50mm 1.8. Any suggestions for a good lens that will accomplish this???

thanks!:D

Canon 100 macro. Or a Tamron 90. Either will be great for you.

When you say you want find details of your babies/children are you thinking close ups where its, say, just the finger and nothing else or just similar portrait shots to what you have now with improved image quality and clarity/sharpness in the details?

If its the latter then a macro lens won't help you any much more than your 50mm f1.8 will and its likely more a factor of settings and lighting than optics.

When you say you want find details of your babies/children are you thinking close ups where its, say, just the finger and nothing else or just similar portrait shots to what you have now with improved image quality and clarity/sharpness in the details?

If its the latter then a macro lens won't help you any much more than your 50mm f1.8 will and its likely more a factor of settings and lighting than optics.

definitely closeups of details, not for portraits. I want fine details of little thing: eyelashes, lips, toes, etc. I'm happy with the 50mm for portraits for now, although am looking into a 35mm for that in the future.

I would use the Sigma 18-250mm macro for that type of photography. The zoom allows you to stand some distance away from the subject and thus get better, full frame candid shots.

Canon 28-135 is a pretty decent macro lens. I use it on my 7D. It's a nice mid macro lens. And the zoom gives you some flexibility.

It's not been mentioned, but I'd advise against the Canon EF-S 60mm macro. I have one and overall it's a great lens BUT you don't have enough working distance between the end of the lens hood and your subject - for that reason I'm considering trading up to a 90 or 100mm macro.

Thanks to everyone for the insight. I'll look into each suggestion! The flexibility of the 28-135 or 18-250 sounds good. Gotta look into pricing

OP, base on what you described, you may not need a dedicated macro lens such as those what people refer as 1:1 macro lens in which the image projects on the recording medium is the same size as the object.

I believe a close up lens is what you need. A telephoto zoom lens that has 1:2 macro ratio or a quality macro close-up diopter pair with a good telephoto lens.

Most reactions

Back