Beginner looking for comments on my work

How Am I At This

• Total voters

Th3KatsMeow

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
here is my work I had not Touched a camera until a week ago I bought my first DSLR a Cannon t5 Can someone tell me how im doing and what I can do better. Here Is The Flickr Link - ----> derek corcoran

You will be more likely to get responses if you #1 post two or
three similar photos in the proper photo gallery forum and #2 post the pictures to the thread instead of linking to the thread.

Beginners forum read.

’"Don't be shy. Use one of the forums in the - Photo Galleries - Photos submitted by members for general display or critique - section of TPF if you want C&C improvement tips on some of the photos you have taken. For equipment specific questions, use one of the forums in the Camera Forum section of TPF. Brushing up on some of the basics? The Beginner's forum is for asking basic technical photographic questions about things like shutter speed, aperture, ISO, white balance, metering modes, focusing modes."

I think you have done is as good as 90% of beginners would do using a modern digital camera.

There is nothing particularly good or bad with these shots, simply because these are just photos of things with not much added value in terms of composition, light or any particular artistic intent behind the shot.

What your shots show so far is how good modern cameras are these days. Apart from that there is not much food for thought so far, really. But it is absolutely fine, you need time to develop.

I would advise you to keep shooting, experiment with different compositions, watch how your subjects are lit - the shapes, the shadows etc. Buy some good book on photography, it will give you a lot of ideas and directions.

And do not post all your decent shots on the net, just choose 2 or 3 that you like most and post it here, then you will get some more useful response.

I think you have done is as good as 90% of beginners would do using a modern digital camera.

There is nothing particularly good or bad with these shots, simply because these are just photos of things with not much added value in terms of composition, light or any particular artistic intent behind the shot.

What your shots show so far is how good modern cameras are these days. Apart from that there is not much food for thought so far, really. But it is absolutely fine, you need time to develop.

I would advise you to keep shooting, experiment with different compositions, watch how your subjects are lit - the shapes, the shadows etc. Buy some good book on photography, it will give you a lot of ideas and directions.

And do not post all your decent shots on the net, just choose 2 or 3 that you like most and post it here, then you will get some more useful response.
Thank you im looking into composition techniques and im going to try to put more thought into my pictures

Besides learning the mechanics of good photography, I think the best advice I ever received from a professional was to think about what draws you in to someone else's images. Is it an unusual perspective? Action that stops time? Portraits that show an inner beauty or strength? Awe-inspiring landscapes taken at the perfect moment in time? Find what it is you love about photography, and hold that in your mind as you are shooting.

There are two main skills in photography; knowing what picture to take and being able to use the equipment to take it. Your portfolio shows potential in the ability to use the equipment and capture a scene. What's lacking to me is composition and the ability to have the viewer see something that is interesting to them.
The other thing I would say is share only your best work, don't take 12 shots and share all 12, only share the best one or as often the case with me - throw all of them away and try another approach...

I think Cartier said " you're first 10,000 pictures are your worst."

You want us to critique your whole body of work? I did not click as I'm still gun shy from clicking on some junk websites, so if you post your best image here where I can see it, I will be happy to comment.

Don't worry about what all these "experts" say, it's a good start! Keep shooting! What I would recommend, is study people who YOU personally like on Flickr or 500px, and then try and see if you can begin to create similar images. You may find you need to study up on technique in order to fulfill your goals. :)

Don't worry about what all these "experts" say,
The OP asked for critique. Why would you tell him not to listen when he received exactly what he was asking for? You also provided advice, so you are saying he should listen to you and not everyone else? Why?

Most reactions

Back