Beginner looking for some C&C

:lol: ... "No."

It's amazing how many times that word pops into my head when seeing pictures on this forum. Glad I'm not the only one.

Apologies, these were some of the very first photos I've taken, I'm still learning the basics.

It's amazing how many times that word pops into my head when seeing pictures on this forum. Glad I'm not the only one.

Apologies, these were some of the very first photos I've taken, I'm still learning the basics.

Beasty, don't apologize. It takes GUTS to post up your pix and open yourself to public criticism. Some of the harshest critics never post their own work. (FAIL) One has to be open-minded and open to criticism to improve.

Beasty, don't apologize. It takes GUTS to post up your pix and open yourself to public criticism. Some of the harshest critics never post their own work. (FAIL) One has to be open-minded and open to criticism to improve.

Ahh well thank you, I'm still learning all of the terms, how and when to use features on my camera, so much information to comprehend, it definitely takes some time.

#1 needs a subject, my eye just sort of wonders looking for one.
#2 Is OK as it is. I would try it as a high contrast BW to bring out the drama.
#3 Is a nice demonstration of shallow DoF

#1: Not sure what you're trying to convey.
#2: Its a little more interesting, not bad.
#3: It bugs me how you cut off the bottom of the coke bottle. Its also not in a very interesting spot, and the watermark really takes away from that image, or whats left of the image. I personally think it needs more contrast and vibrance.

Thats just my input, and I'm no pro. Good luck with your photography endeavors!

Thank you, in #1 I was trying to capture mainly the water on the leaf, I really didn't mean to capture so much of the backround but I didn't have any others that I liked because I messed them Up with focus or something else.
#3 I didn't really cut off TO much of the bottle, just a tiny bit, and I don't think I could of edited out the paper label on the lower right if I tried. Also the watermark I just through in for some practice, forgot to take it off before I posted it.

1. The scene had a high dynamic range that you didn't/couldn't capture. So what you ended up with is an uninteresting blown area behind the plant, a dark area with no definition besides some orbs, and a plant which is cropped tight with the highlights exposed for. What percentage of this photo is actually exposed properly? We're talkin single digits.

2. Sand is exposed well in my opinion. My issue is with composition, I dislike the fact the footprints start at the right of the middle of the frame and head away. I would prefer to see it framed so the footprints walk from the bottom left to the top right, and maybe a few more of them to boot.

3. No.

#1 I'm sort of confused as to what your trying to say here, remember, beginner.
#2 Thanks, I had one where there were four foot prints but you could see the edge of the water and I also didn't want to get sand on my camera soo...yeah
#3 ....?

Maybe uts just me, but these all appear inderexposed to me.

For the lighting it kinda felt like I was exposing them to long? I beleive I was using a 1/600 or 1/1000 shutter speed for most of them except the first one which was significantly brighter and I added some contrast in Photoshop

Understanding Dynamic Range in Digital Photography

The quick and easy of it.
When you look at a scene that has bright and dark areas (like a blue sky, and shade under a tree), your brain/eye combo will allow you to see it all exposed properly because your eye has a greater dynamic range then your camera does (about 24 stops vs 10-14).
When you take a single photograph with areas of great darkness and brightness together, you often have to expose for one and get stuck with the other. The greater the difference between the dark and light portions of the photograph, the worse the results.

Understanding Dynamic Range in Digital Photography

The quick and easy of it.
When you look at a scene that has bright and dark areas (like a blue sky, and shade under a tree), your brain/eye combo will allow you to see it all exposed properly because your eye has a greater dynamic range then your camera does (about 24 stops vs 10-14).
When you take a single photograph with areas of great darkness and brightness together, you often have to expose for one and get stuck with the other. The greater the difference between the dark and light portions of the photograph, the worse the results.

AHHH!! Thank you very much, so say, if the backround towards the right was brighter (Say the sun was poking through) it would have been better?

No, because in order to expose for the plant properly, you would always end up with a blown out white background.You probably would want to get on the other side of the plant with that window/door/whatever it is, behind you giving you some natural light.

No, because in order to expose for the plant properly, you would always end up with a blown out white background.You probably would want to get on the other side of the plant with that window/door/whatever it is, behind you giving you some natural light.

Oh ok that makes a bit more sense. There is a door behind me, it may give some sort of odd/distracting background though.

Well.... If the drops on the leaves were what was interesting, and the plant is surrounded by distracting elements, then one way to handle this is to pick up the plant and move it to a location where the background is not distracting, and the light is better. Unless, of course, the plant is too heavy to move, in which case... you move around until you find a vantage point that minimizes the defects of the location. And then, you zoom in (or use the two-foot zoom), and shoot with a wide aperture to give you a thin depth-of-field and blur the background.

Dominantly did a good appraisal, and I fully agree with the comments.

It helps, when you frame your shots, if you can think ahead to what stories your potential viewers will see in your images, and give them the clues to interprete what you saw. When you're taking the photograph, you're in the scene, and you take the context for granted. The viewer can only see what you let them see in the frame, and if the clues are not i the frame, we often don't know what we're supposed to be looking at, or for.

Most reactions

Back