Beginner need help - shooting in bright sunlight

sg07

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can someone give me some tips for shooting in bright sunlight. I don't know how to avoid the shadow on the subject's face that keep ruining my photos. I tried using built-in flash but it's either too bright or I am getting bright reflections off things in the background. Any help will be appreciated.

i do more than 1 layer for that. i do 1 layer for the person, i use my built in flash to keep the shadows off. then on your background, you can edit it and turn down the exposure.

Welcome!

The best advice would be not to shoot in harsh sun light. Can you schedule the shoot in the evening?

I usually shoot in RAW so I take the photo and open it with 2 exposure, one for subject 1 for the background and mask it

Thanks guys. I don't have any experience with RAW. What program should I use to play around with RAW files and achieve the 2 exposure layers that you guys are talking about?

what camera are you using? I know Canon comes with DPP to view files and you use camera RAW to edit it. Usuaually if you take the image(s) and hover them and drop it in Photoshop, it'll open camera RAW for you.

what camera are you using? I know Canon comes with DPP to view files and you use camera RAW to edit it. Usuaually if you take the image(s) and hover them and drop it in Photoshop, it'll open camera RAW for you.

Thanks. I am using Nikon. I actually have Photoshop Element that I've never used. Will Element handle RAW just fine or if I need the CS4?

Just curious, will using a SB-600 help? Will it fill the light a little smarter than built in flash?

Just curious, will using a SB-600 help? Will it fill the light a little smarter than built in flash?

Yes it will with practise, this was shot at midday strong sunlight from behind
974042359_xZVxo-L.jpg

Thanks guys. I don't have any experience with RAW. What program should I use to play around with RAW files and achieve the 2 exposure layers that you guys are talking about?
Get it right in the camera......Don't rely on post processing.....

To shoot people effectively in direct mid-day sunlight, is somewhat involved. The best times of day are the hour after and before sunrise and sunset.

The best thing to do get your subject into open shade and use the open portion as your main light and then use fill light. An alternative is diffuse direct sunlight by holding a diffuser between the subject and the sun, then use fill flash (preferably off the camera, OCF) to light the subject and control where the shadows will be.

You can dispense with the diffuser in direct sunlight, but you will need much more flash power, because you must over come the sunlight.

Last edited by a moderator:

Most reactions

Back