Beginner Needing Advice / C&C

UlisesG1284

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I went out yesterday to try and take some shots. For one of the better shots, I found myself directly under the George Washington Bridge on the NJ side and took the following picture:

IMG_2868.jpg

I tried various settings but I still feel like there is something missing with the picture. I wish I could have taken the picture form further down on the cliff looking up. I was hoping to get a little more detail down the span of the bridge.

I cropped and converted to B&W:

IMG_2868-BW.jpg

Any advice? :sexywink:

Attachments

• $7057077939_b4040307dc.jpg
    $7057077939_b4040307dc.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 133
  • $7057104685_67dc6873a3.jpg
    $7057104685_67dc6873a3.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 129
Last edited:
I can't see your pictures. Can you put the img URL here?

Picture 1 is just a shot of the underside of the GW looking towards NY. Just no real interest. Way too much space on either side do the bridge. If you look carefully, you'll notice that there are no blacks. What about your composition do you like? What were you trying to convey to us, the viewer? I do prefer the B&W version. You cropped it way too much as you cut away the outer beams of the towers.

OVEREXPOSED. You should try a HDR. but not a SCI-FI one, just to tame the highlights and the shadows.

Again, I'm new to photography. I wasn't really trying to convey anything to the viewer. Just an interesting view I came across and thought would make for an interesting shot. I was really hoping to capture more detail in the cross beams going down the span of the bridge. From where I took the picture I don't know that I would have been able to. It was a just wierd place. I was in the shade of the bridge, the sun was shining bright on the right side. I couldn't move down further in the cliff for my own safety.

I cropped the picture as such because it looked "crooked" if I had left in the outer edges of the beams

I've never tried shooting in HDR. To be honest, I'm not even sure what it is. I'll have to look into it.

Thanks for the advice guys. More uninteresting shots and stupid questions to follow. I'm determined to get better though. I'm really trying to hone in on the technical aspect of photography at the moment. "For a shot under a bridge, if I'm trying to highlight the cross beams, I need to do xyz"

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice guys. More uninteresting shots and stupid questions to follow. I'm determined to get better though. I'm really trying to hone in on the technical aspect of photography at the moment. "For a shot under a bridge, if I'm trying to highlight the cross beams, I need to do xyz"

That is true spirit :thumbsup:

Regarding the image, i think a note of prosaic-ness is there; if you had it landscapish than squarish with more buildings to see on either side, may be that it looks better; or you can take several images at different angles and present them as a "Study", that will be fine( i think that is a great way to improve one's idea about perspective)

Regards and all the best :D

Again, I'm new to photography. I wasn't really trying to convey anything to the viewer. Just an interesting view I came across and thought would make for an interesting shot. I was really hoping to capture more detail in the cross beams going down the span of the bridge. From where I took the picture I don't know that I would have been able to. It was a just wierd place. I was in the shade of the bridge, the sun was shining bright on the right side. I couldn't move down further in the cliff for my own safety.

I cropped the picture as such because it looked "crooked" if I had left in the outer edges of the beams

I've never tried shooting in HDR. To be honest, I'm not even sure what it is. I'll have to look into it.

You can see a greater dynamic range then your digital camera can record. High Dynamic Range (HDR) is a program that lets you combine 3 or more pictures ei. -2/0/+2 exposures, then using one of the many programs available, those 3 images are combined into one picture that captures the full dynamic range.

When you take a picture that you like, the picture is meant for you. When you decide to post it on a Photography site, then those pictures should convey something meaningful to the viewer(s) to capture our interest. If there is nothing there to accomplish that, then why post the pictures in the 1st place?

As you continue to learn and expand your photographic knowledge, you'll be able to take more technically challenged pictures. You need to find your comfort zone. That's a zone where you can go out, take some pictures that are technically correct/pleasing to both you, and the viewers. One should not have to expect that the photographer need explain everything, about every picture, for us to appreciate them. Once you can do that, you start to expand your comfort zone little by little. How fast and how big is up to you.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back