Beginner needing lens advice

JasonParfey

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I recently purcahsed a nikon D5200 with 18-5mm f/3.5-5.6 lens but I am looking for a decent wide angle lens to use. Can anyone recommed a good lens? Would prefer a zoom lens to a fixed focal length one. Thanks.

The 18-55 is a wide angle zoom, and actually a rather good one. Are you looking for a wider lens or a better lens?

A wider one. Something in the 10mm range with an apeture that opens wider (2.8 maybe?)

Tokina 12-24 f4.

Rokinon 14mm F2.8 Ultra Wide Angle Lens and Sigma AF 14mm F2.8 EX HSM or Samyang 14mm 2.8.
Are only ones I can think of in prime. Will cost you as much as the popular Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 EX DC HSM.
Or most recommended the Tokina 11-16 f2.8.

There are not a whole lot of choices for primes. As the Nikon 10.5 is not a standard ultra-wide but a fisheye type lens.

Either way you are looking at entry used starting at $300.

Once I owned AF-S DX Nikkor 10-24mm f/3.5-4.5G ED. Can recommend easily.

I'm an advocate for the Tokina 11-16. Love that lens. One thing I DO need to mention though is that you're going to want the Pro II version as it won't auto focus on a D3100.

I recently purcahsed a nikon D5200 with 18-5mm f/3.5-5.6 lens but I am looking for a decent wide angle lens to use. Can anyone recommed a good lens? Would prefer a zoom lens to a fixed focal length one. Thanks.

Just to read into what you want a little more, could you explain the reasons and uses you have for such a wide angle?

Your best bet will probably be the Tokina 11-16. Or of the Rokinon series.

Sent from my iPhone

tokina 11-16 f/2.8 pro II version is your best bet.

Most reactions

Back