Beginner photographer looking to purchase essential lenses for basic shooting

Gpozz8

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I currently own a Nikon 3100, and it came with a nikkon 18 - 55mm lense. I am looking to purchase another lense with greater zoom capabilities...also any other suggestions on other basic lenses I should upgrade to?Tks

I've heard that one should always own a prime lens - 50mm is a good one and not too pricey. I'm actually looking to buy one. I have a d5100 with the 18-55mm and 55mm-300mm. What are you looking to shoot?

What do you mean by greater zoom range? As in more of an all in one? The 18-200 is a decent one. If you mean being able to fill the frame with subjects that are further away from you, the 70-300 VR is a great lens to have in the kit.

What is your budget and what type of things are you interested in shooting?

Hi thanks for the quick reply...I'm not looking to shoot anything specific per se but just normal shooting situations...sporting events, vacations, site seeing, things along those lines...

Do you mind changing lenses while you are out or do you want a one lens solution?

Yes a 70-300mm is what I would be looking for...at what price point do I need to be to get something of good quality?

Well, a 70-300 isn't exactly a one lens solution. It's not very wide on your camera. It's a telephoto lens, and you would have to be quite a bit aways from a person to get a full body shot. Group shots would be very difficult, and would generally be impossible indoors.

See, the advantage to a DSLR is that you get to choose the lens that will best fit your circumstances. If you are going to go shoot wildlife, you bring the 70-300. If you are shooting in a crowded house, you grab your 18-55.

If you want wide angle and telephoto, you pretty much only have one option in the Nikon line, and that is the 18-200 VR. It's not a lens I own and I wouldn't buy it, but here is the link anyway. Nikon AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR II Zoom 2192 B&H

Great tks.. Sorry if I confused you by mentioning a one lens solution..I meant that I would want one lens for distant subjects, not one lens that would encompass every situation...are there other lenses you would suggest for closer range shots?

Again, it's all about your budget. Generally, the 14-24, 24-70, and 70-200 2.8's are regarded as the trinity of Nikon Lenses. Problem is, it costs around $6,000.

Honestly, with your camera body, I would think the 18-55 and the 70-300 VR would cover most of what you want to shoot. Give it some time and you will know what you aren't getting out of those lenses and you will know what you want to invest in.

For me, the perfect beginner kit would be a used D90, the 18-105 VR, the 70-300 VR, an SB600(it's a flash), a decent tripod, and a 5 in 1 reflector set. That lets you get your feet wet in a lot of different areas and once you begin to reach the limitations of that gear, you will have a good idea of where your gear is letting you down and what next steps you will need to make.

I agree with all of the above but the 50mm 1.8 is a very handy lens especially for indoor shooting w/o flash and it is very affordable.

I agree with all of the above but the 50mm 1.8 is a very handy lens especially for indoor shooting w/o flash and it is very affordable.

Unfortunately, the $100 version won't autofocus with his camera. The AF-S version is around $220. Still affordable, just not quite the great deal the AF version is.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back