beginner photographer

Status
Not open for further replies.

swmocity

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
im new to the site also..so summer times is coming up and i get bored easily...so i think i wonna do some photography for da hell of it or even make a little extra cash off of it. i have been in the photography gield for like two years now..have never purchased a SLR but i use them pretty much everyday..whats a good beginner SLR...i was thinking the nikon d40 or the cannon rebel xt

D40 is a really an all around good camera. I've used it multiple times and like the size and how crisp each and every pictures is

D40 is a really an all around good camera. I've used it multiple times and like the size and how crisp each and every pictures is
so its out beats da rebel even though its a 6..and not a 8 mp..i konw mp is da only thing yo look for but...just askin?..u have the d40?..post pics

I've heard that the D40 has a big issue in that it can't auto focus on certain lenses (older lenses if I remember right). There was a huge thread about it a month ago or so. I've heard that if you can, jump to the D50.

The rebel is a decent camera, but I honestly hate how it feels. I would never have chosen Canon if I first picked up a rebel (30D was my first DSLR).

Check out Pentax, decent stuff there from what I hear.

hmm interesting?

It should be noted that the Rebel is made for smaller hands than most other DSLRs and people with big hands tend to hate it ;) but best thing is to try it out in a store and see how it feels.
Also (forgive me if I get names wrong becaue they change for USA from UK names) but the canon rebel xt is a still a very capable camera - but there are 2 updated versions of it - the xti and the xsi
From what I have read the xti is considered a good upgrade whilst the xsi although having even more pixels than the previous versions, is starting to show weakness in that its got more pixels, but still loaded on the same sensor set-up. It also has a lower number of frames per second than the others as a result of the increase in pixels and thus in file size.
However since its realease prices of the xti have fallen and I would consider the xti to be a good (canon) starting camera.

Also at this price range and with unless you have some specific lenses or lens types that you are after (the canon 100-400mm USM L IS is often a reason many choose canon as nikon have no equivalent lens) then any DSLR is going to work for you. Saying that you have experience with SLRs I would say the best line is to look at the lenses for each of the brands and see if one brand offers lenes more suited to your needs and budget (look both short term and long term at this) as whilst there are differences in camera bodies they are still very similar - its the lenses where the real differences lie

I have large hands and have no problem at all with the XT.

I have owned this camera for almost 2yrs and have been very happy with it. I live by the old saying "buy a cheap body and put your money in the glass".
I have paired the XT with an L series lens and I am very pleased with the results and so are my clients.

I agree that you should go to a store and see how a Canon or a Nikon fits your hand. I don't recommend one system over the other. They are both good systems.

Good luck :)

It should also be noted that the original post of this thread is an insult to alot of dedicated professional photograpers full or part time.

well i work at a photolab so i have played with both of these cameras alot...i tested them out again today..im leaining toward the rebel alot...pictures seem to come out alot better than the d40s

I'm glad someone said this.

"It should also be noted that the original post of this thread is an insult to alot of dedicated professional photograpers full or part time. "

hey - i have a camera now, let's make some money by undercutting the professionals and fooling unsuspecting customers making them realize that they really don't need a "professional" photographer. there goes the industry. now everyone thinks that the photography business is run out of mother's basements with clipart on a business card that's been cut with scissors.

starting a business based on the fact that you have a camera is like opening a restaurant because you bought a microwave.

there's a new studio opening every week around here:

mary's photography
jill's photography
i have kids photography
need extra money photography
just bought this cam photography

Ahem - Whilst the opening post (and subsequent ones) are an affront to the skills of the written word I don't think we should derail this into a debate (rant) about the ease of getting into the photograhpy professional market (by pro I mean by making an income out of a skill/hobby/interest). Something for another thread I feel.
As for the thread starter - might help to write a little more formally and correctly - helps people to understand you better, makes you look more serious about what you are talking about and also allows people who's first language might not be english to understand your post better

It should also be noted that the original post of this thread is an insult to alot of dedicated professional photograpers full or part time.
how is it an insult?.. i am also dedicated to photography..im in college majoring in media,television,radio, and minor photography...i know being a photographer is not a easy job....i have always just looked at it as a hobby....but i dont see why a hobby cant turn into a career, or even a side job

how is it an insult?.. i am also dedicated to photography..im in college majoring in media,television,radio, and minor photography...i know being a photographer is not a easy job....i have always just looked at it as a hobby....but i dont see why a hobby cant turn into a career, or even a side job

a hobby can turn into something bigger and better. mine did.

a hobby can turn into something bigger and better. mine did.
yes.thats exactly what im saying...dont know why everyone is jumping on me about it.what kind of camera do u have?

I think some people took offense because you came in here, and acted like since you have worked in a photo lab and want to buy a camera, that you automatically assumed you could just start charging and make some money at it. Just like that. If it was that easy, no one would take the time to learn the art, and to study and become a REAL professional. Not just someone who is bored and thinks that they can take some snapshots and charge someone for it!

And...referring to your original post... "da" is not a word unless you are 1 and learning to say daddy. Please use normal English and make yourself look SOMEWHAT serious.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back