Beginner pics

Jhamb

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Here are a couple of pics I recently took the BMX on has some heavy editing done to it! The rising sun one has none! Please lmk what you think!

dsc010442.jpg

dsc01122ii.jpg

i really like the first one, if you havent already cropped it, i suggest cropping it so its only flowers and see how that goes?

like the second picture, a little bit of both city and sunset/country, nice combination IMO

Hmmm... Let's see...

1. I like the fact that the image is simple. Your eye is drawn imediately to the bike (which I assume is the focus of the picture), but I find my eyes asking, "what now?" Now, that is not bad if your point was to show us the bike and nothing more. Then you have a very successful picture on your hands, but if you were attempting to show us something more then I believe this picture has missed the mark. I believe a picture is a great picture if the viewer imediately or almost imediately picks up on what the point of the picture was. Of course, this will mean that not everyone will pick up on the meaning and tend to think the picture isn't all that great because they are wondering why the guy/girl took the picture instead of enjoying the beauty of it. So, a question to you... What was the point of this shot?

2. I know that guys like me drill in rules of photography into others, but there is usually a point to it. I do still believe that rules of photography (i.e. rule of thirds, lvl horizons, good exposure, etc.) can be broken from time to time, but not in this picture. This shot has some GREAT color in it, but is way to center focused. the horizon in the the middle and the sun is at the center of the picture. What tends to happen is that the eye no longer roams the photograph but is stuck looking at the sun. I think this picture needed a little forground intrest (so a little bit lighter forground with a nice but not distracting subject) while you moved the sun to one side of the picture and the horzion up or down from the middle. This would create a little imbalance that will make your eye move around the shot.

Thanks Inst!nct :)

BolbyBill thanks for the input as well,

The first picture the idea was to have a sole focus on the bike with a brilliant, contrasting background. I mostly wanted to use it as a desktop wallpaper, I have some others I took from other angles.

The SUNRISE picture I took one morning for the sake of having it. Here is another one I took with the sun off centered just to give your eyes something to think about.

dsc01124q.jpg

It could be my monitor, but the first one looks too bright to me. I like the idea, and I think it might make a neat desktop background on a computer.

Like someone said, you probably shouldn't have everything centered on the sunset. The second version you posted is a bit better, but the horizon is still almost smack dab center. Pick which part of the photo you want to focus on (ground or sky) and have that take up the majority of the frame. You can play with it, but usually the horizon should be about 1/3 of the way up or down on your frame. In the case of this shot, I think you probably want to focus on the sky.

Your shots look very nice otherwise. Keep posting!

EDIT: Looking again at the second version of your sunset, it appears to me that your horizon is slightly tilted to the left. This is just a pet peeve of mine. It is, however, very important to have a level horizon on shots like this.

Im not a huge fan of the first one, the concept is cool but there is fair too much contrasting for my liking. To each is their own, right? I feel like a lot of the bikes details were lost in the shot, and considering it was the main element of the picture it should have more to it.
I love a sunrise picture!!! But like it has been said a hundred times above...be mindful of centering things.

Yeah I kinda noticed that the horizon is tilted, I HATE that it always look like a little kid took it or something! LOL

Thanks for all the input and suggestions. Like a said I am very new to photography and am open to all helpful advice and suggestions! Thank you all! :)

If you don't mind, can you post an unedited version of the first? It seems a little too saturated, but i don't know if it came out that way straight out of the camera. Editing is part of the learning process after all!

wow are you sure you're a beginner? nice!

Thanks! Yeah deffinetly a beginner, I just bought my camera about a month ago.

I posted this pic on a BMX forum I go to and they told me the same thing about it being to saturated, maybe it looks different on my monitor? IDK anyways here is the original (dont laugh that I shot it in auto, this was right before I learned about A, S, M settings lol)

dsc01044o.jpg

(dont laugh that I shot it in auto, this was right before I learned about A, S, M settings lol)

Hey man! Don't ever be ashamed for the WAY (unless that way is immoral and I can't think of a way at the moment where that would apply) that you took a picture. It is very plausible that your camera in A, S, or M would have given you a very similar shot if not the same thing (and possibly took longer to get you that shot too). You are not a pro because you use A, S, or M instead of Auto nor are you a beginner because you use auto. Does A, S, and M give you more options/control sure but it doesn't mean you should be ashamed for shooting in Auto. Be proud that you have come away with a great shot rather than focus on the steps that took you there! Sadly my friend, we all to many times argue and fight about the steps than enjoy the shot that was produced from those steps. Stand tall and get out there and take more of the same! Of course, learn from wrong steps but don't focus on them.

I like the first shot as I do tend to Like contrast, but someone mentioned loosing the details in the bike and I would 100% agree. The bike needs to be brought out a little IMO.

I personally am not overwhelmed by the second shot, but there have been some excellent suggestions already mentioned.

For the sunset I would crop out more of the bottom half. There isn't much going on there for the picture is exposed for the sky. And the sky looks and sun is where the interest is.

The bike, just take down the contrast a bit. I don't know about the flowers and bike together. Are those flower petals?

haha no those are leaves that I found covering the ground...

btw, the sunset is actually a Sunrise

Most reactions

Back