Beginner Project

TeeVex

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello everyone, my name is Thomas. I am a grade 10 student in the advanced class of my grade, we have been assigned a project to pursue something that interests us or that we are passionate about. I have always appreciated a good picture but never really got myself to get in to photography until this opportunity sprung up.

So, for my class project I have about two months time and I am essentially free to run with it.
I decided I want to learn photography. The best way i could think of was to spend my first two weeks working on learning the basics (terminology, technique, camera settings, etc...) and then spend the rest of the two months taking pictures, with a new theme/category every week. I understand that two weeks isn't a lot of time so if any categories involve more advanced techniques i could learn those as i go along.

Anyways, if anybody has any ideas or ways to improve my project idea, or some theme/category ideas for my pictures i would strongly appreciate it.

Thank you in advance,
-Thomas.

As a theme I would suggest:

Pictures with foreground, middle ground and background.

Pictures with leading lines

Thomas,

You'll learn more quickly if you actually take pictures in the 1st 2 weeks also. Just trying to abstractly understand a subject before doing it is not a good way to learn. Be sure to post some photos here for critique and constructive criticism.

Best

Nate

Thomas, welcome!

Instead of learning "the basics" in the first two weeks, why not pick it up the same way that we do; one thing at a time (only compressed into your two-month time frame)?

The first week is familiarizing yourself with the basic operations of the camera, reading (in your case analyzing) the user's manual, and taking your first photographs.

Week Two, (and subsequent weeks) build upon that knowledge and you learn something new.

At the conclusion of your study, you show your collected works in a timeline exposé.

I or any of us could lay out the project for you, but let's see what you come up with first. If you prepare an outline of the project, post it here for critique.

I or any of us could lay out the project for you, but let's see what you come up with first. If you prepare an outline of the project, post it here for critique.
Definitely have to echo this! People underestimate the power of outlining. Not only does it provide structure for a project, it also helps keep the project in scope and on-time. Plus, your teacher will be happy/impressed that you developed an outline and stuck to it.

Thank
Thomas, welcome!

Instead of learning "the basics" in the first two weeks, why not pick it up the same way that we do; one thing at a time (only compressed into your two-month time frame)?

The first week is familiarizing yourself with the basic operations of the camera, reading (in your case analyzing) the user's manual, and taking your first photographs.

Week Two, (and subsequent weeks) build upon that knowledge and you learn something new.

At the conclusion of your study, you show your collected works in a timeline exposé.

Thank you for the advice! I appreciate it so much. I will try to begin learning about cameras over my march break and get started on taking pictures soon after. I'll also start laying out an outline this afternoon. I'll post it once I'm done.

Thank you so much
-Thomas

Perfect this helped so much, I'm excited to start taking pictures so I can share them with you and see what you have to say!

Thanks very much
-Thomas

Let me suggest this:

Read this thread Shooting in P mode Photography Forum

and this article I wrote

Lew Lorton Photography 11 Tips for Beginning Photographers - How to Start Taking Pictures

The thread will/should give you a bunch of differing viewpoints about how to approach photography from the very beginning.
The article is a summation of how I think a beginner can best progress.
You are excited about photography and expressing yourself.
Hold onto that.
Thank you sooooo much these were great!

150477538.cSyNpb7l.RecentTPFUploadsIMG_0087copy_Proof.jpg
Line, shape,direction, mass, texture, hues,value. The basic elements of design.

Contrast, harmony,dominance,unity or dissonance. Principles that underly the use of design elements.

Elements and principles of design

Once you understand design, your photographic results will become better. A smartphone's camera is adequate to learn with.

Take a look at this single photo. What elements does it use? What are the design principles used?

Most reactions

Back