Beginner purchasing digital slr

wool45

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I would like to purchase a digital slr for my wife for her birthday and wonder if anyone has any suggestions on what kind and brand would be a good choice. I have been looking at a price range up to around $700. Any suggestions? Sje would use it to take a beginners photography class and she enjoys taking photos of nature especially. I have seen combos of the slrs with 2 lenses but don't know if they are deals or not because I am not a photographer myself. Any help would be great.

Thanks!!!

...and have a great day.

I think the best thing is to give your wife the $700 and let her choose the camera :)
At the starting level the entry DSLRs are all pretty much offering the same features, there is little difference aside from erganomics, weight and menu setup - ergo its a more personal choice.

The next stage up is looking at the lens range and the level of interest (as well as how much you are prepared to pay) - the combo lens setups are generally offering a good focal range, but the lenses are very cheap - ergo they have limitations to their usage and quality that a more expensive lens won't.

If your wife is unsure send her online :)

I'm leaning towards the Nikon D60. Any negatives about this camera that I need to know?

Most reactions

Back