Beginner purchasing first DSLR

SLaird

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I am wanting to make my first purchase. I have found a great bundle on QVC that I am really leaning towards. It's for the Canon EOS Rebel T3 12.2MP DSLR. Just wondering if anyone can give me any feedback on this camera. I really want to be able to take great pictures of my kids. Will I be able to get good close ups during athletic events and dance recitals (in a dark theater)? It comes with a EF-S 18-55mm lens and an EF 75-300mm zoom lens. Here is the link.

Canon EOS Rebel T3 12.2MP DSLR w/ 2 Lens Kit - QVC.com

Thanks for any feedback in advance

You're not saving any money by buying the kit. It would be cheaper to purchase separately and buy a refurbished lens as well.

You are better off buying the camera and lens separately. The lenses that come with the kit probably are not very good in low light. I don't really know anything about Canon but Nikon's kit lenses are cheap and are horrible in low light. For dark areas you want a fast lens like a 50 f/1.8. The f/1.8 is important - it means that the lens can open really wide and let in a lot of light which is what you need for low light areas. Can't really give any advice on a zoom for athletic events!

Check out BH photo and adorama. You can probably find some used/refurbished lenses and cameras.

The 75-300 is a flaming piece of crap. But at that price they're basically giving it away so... it's a free flaming piece of crap.

I have this exact camera. It takes wonderful shots. I too purchased it for taking family photos. I didn't get the 75-300 lenses with mine. However the 55-85 has been great so far. They are not great in low light but I am brand new to photography, so I'm sure there is more I could do setting wise to fix that. Good luck and have fun!!!! :)

All this feedback is great! Thanks everyone. So far I've gathered that the camera is ok and the extra lense is really worthless.

I am wanting to make my first purchase. I have found a great bundle on QVC that I am really leaning towards. It's for the Canon EOS Rebel T3 12.2MP DSLR. Just wondering if anyone can give me any feedback on this camera. I really want to be able to take great pictures of my kids. Will I be able to get good close ups during athletic events and dance recitals (in a dark theater)? It comes with a EF-S 18-55mm lens and an EF 75-300mm zoom lens. Here is the link.

Those are some of the toughest situations to photograph in. Sadly, your budget will greatly dictate how your photographs turn out. Going with an entry to mid-level consumer body and lens combo will most likely only yield frustration.

That being said. You can do a lot with the setup you have listed, just don't expect miracle shots right out of the box.

The advice of shopping around is sound and should be followed.

p!nK

First of all, in the up coming Black Friday sales, the Canon T3 model is one of the camera being discount. I do not know which one is the cheapest, but at least Bestbuy and Office Max is going to sell the T3 camera with the 18-55mm kit lens for $480. And Canon authorized dealers should selling it for $499.99 now (which is the price after Canon instant rebate - til Nov 23)

According to the Canon instant rebate (http://usa.canon.com/CUSA/assets/app/pdf/Promotions/camera/eos_ir_t3_103011_poster.pdf), the 2 lens kit should sell around $599.98, not $699.95 listed in QVC.

Authorized Canon dealers (i.e. Bestbuy, B&H, Adorama .......) should have the updated price. So check around.

As for athletic events and dance recitals, it depends on the situation. If it is outdoor events during the day, a regular consumer grade telephoto lens maybe able to do it. But for dance recitals, you need a better lens. A telephoto lens with wide max. aperture is better. However, they usually cost more especially for fast (means wide max. aperture) telephoto zoom lens. And even with the fast lens, I do need to bump up the ISO in order to have the fast enough shutter speed to avoid motion blur. ( I was using a 85mm f/1.8 lens)

^ what they all said. I have the Rebel T1i and the kit 18-55 lens. I have used the 70-300 but it is soft, soft, soft. Doesn't focus well, doesn't meter well, doesn't anything well. The kit 18-55 lens has done well for my beginnings and I like it well enough.

With that said...I have attempted to shoot at a couple of dance recitals, in dark theaters no less, and had very little luck...and that was with a 430EXII flash. Part of the problem I'm sure is that I don't know how to use my flash, but without the flash the pictures would have been extremely bad. I shot them on a tripod with the lowest aperture the lens allowed and a high ISO. The pictures came out grainy and most of them were blurred because simply put, that lens is not for low light at all. It is good for portraits and landscapes and outdoor events on a basic level but I've had little luck in low light. Granted, I am sure that different settings on my camera and flash would have made a difference but overall, not a great experience.

Here's a couple pics from one of the dance recitals...the stage was as tall as I was, so I was shooting up...it was awkward.

jo23.jpg

jo34.jpg

I wouldn't go so far as to say the lens is worthless.... it's just a crappy $100 telephoto zoom. It's worth $100. In photography, that's essentially nothing for a lens. It will get you out to 200mm if you can't get the shot any other way. It's a tool. It's a low quality and limited tool, but it is a tool. What I am saying is, I think you would be better off saving your hundred dollars to invest in a better lens at a later time, or a better normal-range zoom now. Perhaps just get only the body, and look at the Tamron 17-50 2.8 for around $400 (used $300-$350). Or get the kit lens and get a nice tripod/head ($200 or so).

You are better off buying the camera and lens separately. The lenses that come with the kit probably are not very good in low light. I don't really know anything about Canon but Nikon's kit lenses are cheap and are horrible in low light. For dark areas you want a fast lens like a 50 f/1.8. The f/1.8 is important - it means that the lens can open really wide and let in a lot of light which is what you need for low light areas. Can't really give any advice on a zoom for athletic events!

Check out BH photo and adorama. You can probably find some used/refurbished lenses and cameras.

I have had great luck with BH Photo - and I am new to DSLRs so forgive my ignorance since I'm still learning and hope to be educated - I have a question about your comment regarding the 50mm f 1.8 - I can appreciate that the lens opening will be a great benefit in low light but aren't the newer DSLR sensors also a bit more forgiving in low light when you are using f 3.5, for example?

You should look at Amazon.com they have bundles as well. And I'm sure for back Friday you may do better for ur buck.

Also go to a store and try some. Cause you may find a nikon feels better to you. From what I understand, it's more your comfort and ability then the camera.

:)

Will I be able to get good close ups during athletic events and dance recitals (in a dark theater)?

To a large degree that will depend on your knowledge and skill at doing photography.

The more automatic functions you use means the more critical technical and artistic decisions the stupid camera is making.

The camera and lenses you are considering comprise the most basic, entry-level, consumer DSLR gear Canon currently offers. However, with a good understanding of the camera/lens features, functions, and limitations, plus a good understanding of artistic and technical photographic fundamentals you will be able to make high quality photographs with that gear.

It shouldn't take more than a year or so of dedicated study to become proficient with that camera and those lenses.

I would recommend the following: Canon EOS Rebel T3 12.2 MP CMOS Digital SLR with 18-55mm IS II Lens and EOS HD Movie Mode (Black)

and this 70-300 mm lens because it has a USM auto focus motor - Canon EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III USM Telephoto Zoom Lens for Canon SLR Cameras

and save $25 to boot.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
BlackDog10 said:
I have had great luck with BH Photo - and I am new to DSLRs so forgive my ignorance since I'm still learning and hope to be educated - I have a question about your comment regarding the 50mm f 1.8 - I can appreciate that the lens opening will be a great benefit in low light but aren't the newer DSLR sensors also a bit more forgiving in low light when you are using f 3.5, for example?

Today's DSLR sensors can handle high ISO's fairly well. The lenses you are talking about are variable aperture (I'm assuming) so the only time you will have an aperture of 3.5 is at 18mm. Any other focal length is going to have a smaller aperture like f/4-4.5. I have a 50mm 1.4 and in really low light I can boost my ISO up to get a faster shutter speed but it doesn't always work in my favor and that's at 1.4. I may be wrong but the sensor doesn't have too too much to do with low light situations. The kit lens isn't bad but it's not good in low light.

Just my two cents. I'd recommend the body and the EF-S 18-135 IS 3.5-5.6 as a great walk-around, and not too expensive, and the EF 50mm 1.8 (affordable but good low light lens - but prime). The 75-300mm to me, isn't worth it. It's recycle bin material over 200mm. Very frustrating if you are learning. You are going to have to really work on learning how to shoot plays and recitals if they're in low light. Low light zooms are expensive. Here are some basic play shots I got with the 18-135. Sun was in and out had to change ISO between 100 & 400.

PrestonBases by gormanimagery, on Flickr

Soccer1 by gormanimagery, on Flickr

Whatever you decide for lenses, my old rebel with the 18-55 is a great little camera for learning. I still use it if I am in a situation where its limitations won't be a problem for me, plus I just like to take it out with me every once in a while. The T3 has less limitations than my old XTi, especially in lower light. It's definitely a good camera to get you going. ;-) Good luck!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back