Beginner questiion

Ashleigh80

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I would like to know what the iso does/is for and also what the and what the ev means...right now my camera is at 0.0ev what do i use these for ?

R.T.F.M. Always a good place to start.:D

I am new and do not know your lingo....and if you meant the manual I dont have the manual for either camera...but I guess if it is that much of a hassle to tell me I guess I can google it.

International Organizations for Standardization

The higher you crank it, the more noise you'll have coming from your photograph.

Yeah, ponder that for a while.

ISO in terms of photography refers to film (or sensor) speed. Where speed actually refers to sensitivity to light. The higher the ISO, the more sensitive to light the film/sensor is.

Thus a higher ISO will allow you to take a picture in lower light...

Read THIS...

I am new and do not know your lingo....and if you meant the manual I dont have the manual for either camera...but I guess if it is that much of a hassle to tell me I guess I can google it.

RTFM is, as you guessed, "read the friggin' manual". I understand what you mean, though, that the info isn't always accessible.

Doubling the ISO reduces the amount of light required for a shot by half. Of course that works in reverse as well. EV is exposure value. EV is often adjusted when you know the camera cannot meter a scene because of a disparity with lighting. For example, if you were to shoot a snow scene, the camera would "see" all that white and try to render it as grey because it is attempting to average the scene to 18% grey. To compensate, you would adjust the ev +1 so the whites come out as white rather than grey.

OK, from my limited knowledge -

Higher ISO = Higher grain in picture (lower the quality) BUT the Faster the shutter speed.

So in low light u can increase your ISO to decrease the shutter speed but at the cost of image quality.

Any1 more experienced correct me if im wrong!

ISO is rating given to film and digital sensor to indicate how sensitive they are to light. The lower the number the more light is needed to make an exposure. The higher the ISO, the more senstive the sensor is, needing less light, but the smoothness of the image begins to fail and that is what we may call noise.

Noise is similar to grain in film. Many find it unattractive.

THe ev reading of 0.0 means your camera's metering system is in a normal mode. If it was i.e. .3- or .3 +, it would mean the chip is adding or subtracting 1/3 of an fstop to the exposure.

I'm sure you could find the manuals for your cameras online as a PDF; I really recommend you do that.

ISO refers to the sensitivity of the sensor, and the number represents the equivalent sensitivity of film. Higher ISO will allow you to take shots with a higher aperture or higher shutter speed and still get a good exposure. The trade off is that there will be more noise (in film photography this is called grain).

Google "exposure triangle," and definitely try to find the manuals for your camera. The relationship between ISO, shutter speed, and aperture is fundental to photography, and the manuals will show you how to set them and how different modes affect them.

I also have some links in my signature that you can peruse. Might answer some questions.

Page 40 of the Casio manual:
screenshot20110102at102.jpg

Page 64 of the Canon manual:
screenshot20110102at105.jpg

Most reactions

Back