Beginner - Saying hi and requesting C&C

mosu84

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi everyone, I'm brand new to photography (and, of course, the forums) and just got my D40 about 2 weeks ago. Been trying to shoot everything in sight on manual mode, but haven't been having a ton of success. Here's what I thought was one of the better shots. All comments welcome.

f/9, ISO 200, 1/400s -- do the lampposts hurt the shot?

310792793002ba4ba010bcp8.jpg

Last edited:
Nice shot and welcome to TPF!! Since everything is static in this shot..it looks like you should have been able to shoot with ISO 100. Any reason you decided to shoot at ISO 200?

Nice shot and welcome to TPF!! Since everything is static in this shot..it looks like you should have been able to shoot with ISO 100. Any reason you decided to shoot at ISO 200?

Hi, thank you. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the D40 does not have ISO 100. I can't find it if it does.

I think you are right..I remember hearing about something similar now that you mention it.

yeah the d40 only goes to iso200 i wish it went to 100 or 50 but to bad

There really wouldn't be a discernable (unless you are a Pixel Peeper) difference between 200 and 100 in this situation.

No, but I think the bridge does.:blushing:

Thanks. Should I have tried a higher elevation to get the bridge lower in the shot, or is the bridge just a total distraction?

I think it's just a distraction, period. Not only is the angle wrong, but it just doesn't seem to fit with the newer buildings and shore front. Maybe with evening light, I don't know.

Remember, it's only an opinion. If you like it, that's all that matters.

I think it's just a distraction, period. Not only is the angle wrong, but it just doesn't seem to fit with the newer buildings and shore front. Maybe with evening light, I don't know.

Remember, it's only an opinion. If you like it, that's all that matters.

Thanks for your feedback.

I like the shot. What is "static" ? I dont see it.

Yep...I meant motionless..it looked like you didn't have any motion to stop so you could have shot at ISO 100 with a slower shutter, but as you mentioned already your D40 doesn't go to ISO 100.

Thanks. Should I have tried a higher elevation to get the bridge lower in the shot, or is the bridge just a total distraction?

Try this shot again around sunset or dusk (in color) with a higher elevation like you proposed so the bridge would be lower in the picture and not intervening with the center of the skyline. I like the idea of this older bridge and modern skyline in the same exposure.

If you manage to try this shot again, please feel free to post the result!

Try this shot again around sunset or dusk (in color) with a higher elevation like you proposed so the bridge would be lower in the picture and not intervening with the center of the skyline. I like the idea of this older bridge and modern skyline in the same exposure.

If you manage to try this shot again, please feel free to post the result!

Thanks. If I ever end up back in this city I will be sure to give it a try.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back