beginner shot for c&c b/w

First I think the processing is good. It feels right and is a sharp image, at least at this size.

Some thoughts that I have....

#1 The large bright building on the left is taking a lot of attention away from the ornate building in middle-right which is probably where you want the attention. I would lower the tonal value of that building a little so that it isn't the brightest thing in the scene. However, it does balance the image with the wall on the right so it does serve as an important element so I wouldn't lower too much. Is there any texture in the building you could bring out so that it more closely matches the texture of the wall and bridge?

#2 The reflection of the ornate building is incomplete. If you're going to have a reflection of most of a building, it's probably better to include the whole thing.

#3 I love the curve, however, I dont' like how it starts in the middle of the frame. I think I would have it closer to the right so that it almost touches the reflection of the tower. That way it almost creates a loop around the entire image.... curve to bridge tunnel, to tower, to reflection of tower, back to curve. I think this would create a more dynamic and organized image.

#4 I just looked at the largest version you have and see that the wall on the right is quite soft due to the lens. This *might* have been improved by choosing a different aperture and/or focal length.

#5 The image is about a third of a stop overexposed... you're just starting to lose detail in the ornate building which is visible in the large version.

I would say, considering your camera, you did a pretty good job with this shot.

thanks im currently saving for entry level dslr should have one soon hopefully

What Bazooka said plus (for future reference)

[imo]note the perspective distortion produced by a wide angle lens.
it's a little unclear what the real center of interest is in this picture; what are we supposed to be looking at?
a bit of sharpening cleans up the contrast a bit.[/imo]

67754479576f0ca4d97fbll.jpg

Muck better, i think i would have shot portrait and moved to the left to get the curves of the canal' to cut out the building on the left but leave the shadow of it in

67754479576f0ca4d97f-L.jpg

thanks for the replys

it's a little unclear what the real center of interest is in this picture; what are we supposed to be looking at?

i was trying to take the eyes up the curve to the church,your edit was much better,i appriciate it thanks

Muck better, i think i would have shot portrait and moved to the left to get the curves of the canal' to cut out the building on the left but leave the shadow of it in

thanks Gary i see what you mean but didnt want to lose the curve nice edit though mate!!

I like The Traveler's edit the best so far. I would crop a little more into the bottom. Up to the reflection of the bridge Maybe also decrease the exposure a bit, and boost the highlight and shadow details a bit to get back some of the mid-tones you lost in the jpg. (if you shot it in raw)

Nice shot - for me though it's a little flat and could do with the contrast increasing. The area on the right could do with darkening. Excellent composition...

thanks for the replys

i was trying to take the eyes up the curve to the church,your edit was much better,i appriciate it thanks

thanks Gary i see what you mean but didnt want to lose the curve nice edit though mate!!

Thats why i would have done it in camera, next time just have a walk round before taking the shot try framing with your index fingers and thumbs it will give you an idea of where to shot from

Most reactions

Back