Beginner to SLR - Worth it to pay $250 more for Nikon D60 or get D40

just wanted to say thanks for the links in your signature "mav"

So I have a tough decision. Looks like I will get the most bang for my buck by going to the D40. However, by spending a few hundred more it sounds like I can move up to the D80. All of the sales people I have spoken to have told me to go for the D80, but it is hard to get a straight answer due to the fact that they probably want to sell me the camera where they will make the most. If I could only get over the D40 only being 6MP -- it just concerns me and makes me think that I need more MP.

When you say you are going to be making large prints... do you mean 20x30 INCHES? Because if that's the case, I would advise you to go for 10MP.

All the reviews in the world are fine - you learn about all the bells and whistles. But before I decide on a camera I want to put that thing in my hands. Find a camera store or retail outlet that has both on display. Not easy, but it's a big enough investment for the effort. Once all is said and done "the feel" of the camera may well be your deciding factor. Read all you wish, but it's your camera you'll have to be holding for the next x-number of years... go hold it before you buy.

Just my opinion.

So I have a tough decision. Looks like I will get the most bang for my buck by going to the D40. However, by spending a few hundred more it sounds like I can move up to the D80. All of the sales people I have spoken to have told me to go for the D80, but it is hard to get a straight answer due to the fact that they probably want to sell me the camera where they will make the most. If I could only get over the D40 only being 6MP -- it just concerns me and makes me think that I need more MP.
I know it's counterintuitive, but...

The 10MP is 3872 pixels / 30" = 130 dpi
The 6MP is 3000 pixels / 30" = 100 dpi

It's honestly not a big difference. They market 10MP cameras as being "nearly double" the resolution, but it's only a 30% increase in linear resolution. You're never going to be looking at nearly 3 foot wide prints close enough to distinguish 130 dpi from 100 dpi. Far more important will be the photo itself, the composition, the colors and contrast.

Most reactions

Back