Beginner w/ an early morning warehouse fire picture

DanV1317

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I just picked up a Canon Rebel XT with the 18-55 lens on it. Took a few pictures around the house of some stuff, but heard about a fire downtown this morning. I took about 140 pictures, alot came out real bad, some came out ok. It just felt like the lighting conditions/smoke didn't make for real great pictures. I basically just used the camra in the automatic mode because i'm still learning about the creative modes. I heard the shutter speed a bit slower than what it normally sounds like in good lighting conditions.
In the last picture, what would be best for taking a picture into the bright sky but still getting good quality from the trucks below or maybe the guy up in the ladder?
In general, any reccommendations would be greatly appreciated for any of the pictures.

flowers007.jpg

SkyMeats007.jpg

flowers001.jpg

12308004.jpg

12308001.jpg

FIRE087.jpg

FIRE094.jpg

FIRE045.jpg

Heya Dan, welcome to ThePhotoForum and congratulations on getting yourself the camera you now have!!! :D

As to your photos ... well, yes, the first few look like "first photos with new camera" all right, but those of the fire are really a lot better than I thought they would be when I still read your introductory text! Wow, the last one is ALL RIGHT. Nothing wrong with the exposure, your camera decided well :D.

And in the first of the fire pics (Photo 5 after I gave them numbers :greenpbl: ), other than that the firemen lost their feet somehow, the smoke really adds to the atmosphere - and it also does in the one after that. Nothing wrong with those! Not at all.

You will enjoy your now "toy", I am so sure. Let us see more!

Hey Dan

I also think your pictures are good enough for the first time you try. You should have seen how mine first turned out when I started using my DSLR.
HOwever, if you aren't happy with the composition of the last picture, I would have metered from the sky on the left of the big smoke cloud and then recomposed and took the picture.

all of them except the fire ones might be a little overexposed. Your fire pictures are good though. The exposure looks good. It also looks sharp enough except for the smoke, but how're you gonna take pictures of firefighters without smoke?!

All of the fire pictures are good. I think the last one would have been better if you could see the truck the ladder is coming off of though.

Most reactions

Back