Beginner wanting a GREAT DSLR camera to use for future business - Any suggestions???

yooperGirl

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Any suggestions on a GREAT DSLR camera for a determined beginner wanting to start a (near)future photography business? Nikon or Canon? I heard the D700 is great, but I'd like HD. Ideas? Suggestions? Is it possible to buy used? If so, where? I am totally new to this and welcome your feedback!

Thanks!

I have to ask, what are you shooting with now and what are your plans for the future. Also what background do you have and what budget are you working with?

D3X, you'll be a pro the moment you open the box.

Canon send a certificate of pro upon receipt of payment.....:thumbup:

With the Hasselblad you get a contract for three Marie Clair photo shoots.

Play nice you guys :p
You need to be more specific - "to use for future business" is VERY broad. Do you want to do portraits, landscapes, weddings, events, stock, etc? What is your budget?

The D700 is great, I bought mine 2nd hand with a whole pile of goodies for 1/2 retail. The only thing is as with any electronics you have to be careful when buying used! I got mine checked out by a local camera repair guy and it's worked great for me so far but you can be unlucky and get someone else's junk.

Perhaps the more important thing would be for the OP to advise why they believe that they can make a business of this. What experience do they have in photography, in starting and running a business etc. Not trying to be mean to the OP here, but a "Great DSLR" does not a professional or more importantly, an accomplished photographer make. I like to watch racing, I own a car, that does not make me a professional race car driver.

When I see threads of this nature with the types of questions asked here it makes me wonder what the OP is thinking. A good photographer, an accomplished photographer, one that can make a living at it has a background and a foundation to build on. They have an understanding of the field and an ability to build on that foundation. Photography is no different than any other pursuit in life. It takes knowledge hard work and dedication to succeed. They don't have to ask the very most basic of questions such as the one the OP posted.

I agree with what you're saying, but I'm sorry I find you (ALL) to be acting like complete jerks. It's a serious question, and the way you're treating him/her is ridiculous.
Okay, you've established that a camera won't make you pro --

Since you didn't supply your background I'm going to go ahead and give you the advice i'd give myself if I was in your situation -
Ready for it?
Buy a bottom end DSLR and stock up on sweet lenses until you understand photography (there's a learning curve). Have lots of money? Buy a mid end DSLR and stock up on sweet lenses. Have it so good that money is no option? Buy the very top of the line DSLR and a bunch of amazing lenses..
If you're 'average' then get yourself a bottom end camera and a top of the line lens (and then your second and third and so on once you figure out what you want in a lens (length).. And then when you understand exposure and composition, upgrade your body and get yourself a good desktop computer and photo editor, along with some good books to digest that new photo editor of yours, and then go pro :p

I'm sure it is a serious question; a serious question that gets asked in one form or another on this board several times each day. The problem with this particular serious question is that it gives the distinct impression that the poster can't be bothered to do any of their own research. Since they've posted here, they obviously have Internet access, therefore, plugging a phrase such as "DSLR with HD Video" into a search-engine would have given a starting point. A further query such as "<Camera> review" would provide a wealth of information.

Had the OP done a little work and posted a question with sufficient information, such as "I have $XXX to spend on a camera and lenses for a business I want to start centered around <type of photography>. I am considering cameras X, Y, and Z - what do you recommend?" I am willing to be that there would have been a slew of detailed, useful posts.

The simple fact is, many of the knowledgeable posters here don't see a lot of point in doing someone's work for them. They are more than willing to help, but not to do all the work.

Is it possible to buy used? If so, where? I am totally new to this and welcome your feedback!

Thanks!

+1 to what tirediron said.

The "Is it possible to buy used? If so, where?" part made me spew Mountain Dew when I laughed out loud.

The OP's credit, she used capital letters and proper punctuation.

I wonder what this "determined beginer' will do when she needs to learn how to do strobed light photography, drag a shutter, and discovers she has to buy a license to use her HD, MPEG 4 files commercially. ;)

I'm sure it is a serious question; a serious question that gets asked in one form or another on this board several times each day. The problem with this particular serious question is that it gives the distinct impression that the poster can't be bothered to do any of their own research. Since they've posted here, they obviously have Internet access, therefore, plugging a phrase such as "DSLR with HD Video" into a search-engine would have given a starting point. A further query such as "<Camera> review" would provide a wealth of information.

Had the OP done a little work and posted a question with sufficient information, such as "I have $XXX to spend on a camera and lenses for a business I want to start centered around <type of photography>. I am considering cameras X, Y, and Z - what do you recommend?" I am willing to be that there would have been a slew of detailed, useful posts.

The simple fact is, many of the knowledgeable posters here don't see a lot of point in doing someone's work for them. They are more than willing to help, but not to do all the work.

+1, but in addition... there really is NO answering this question.

There are a few variables... like if the shooter-to-be is going to be doing a lot of low light photography, then high-ISO capabilities and full frame is likely key. Lots of sports, frame rate will be important, etc.

Aside from that it's generally about budget. A Nikon D40 will "work" for almost anything, but then so will a D3x. If you buy a D3x, you'll have fewer limitations than you will with a D40... but can you afford it?

Not to mention... can you really use it? Spending a metric ton of cash on some "really sweet glass" isn't going to do a whole heck of a lot for you if you don't know what you really need. Example... I know someone who bought a 70-200 2.8 VR... only to find out that what they REALLY needed for their business was a wide angle. Whoops.

Or someone else who spent tons of money on that super-fast lens, but it turns out they are always outside in bright light and their camera wasn't fast enough to keep up with their sports shooting... aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand they were out of money. Whoops.

The point is don't go asserting what people need to do until you have the foggiest notion on what they need or you'll be doing everyone a disservice.

And for the record, I am a professional, I do buy some very high quality gear to do my work, and I know the value of it... but I also know how to use it.

I would really like people that post things like this to come back and answer peoples questions. What bothers me most is the one post then run because people ask a ton of questions. The more info they give the better anyone can help. NO INFO NO Help. Then they run off and tell people how cr9ppy this site is or other sites. IT makes no sence to take the time to sign up ask one question then never come back!

Most reactions

Back