Beginner with an advanced subject needs help...

incorrect!

To summarize the majority of this discussion the main question is "Why will my camera not auto adjust under my tank lights?"

You are very creative in finding this conversion me complaining that I am not shooting like a professional in a week.

OK, you don't like my post. That's to be expected.

I'm not being creative at all. I'm simply pointing out we have spent some forty plus posts and you are no closer to getting good results than you were at #1. That's hardly deep thinking on my part.

Tell ya'what, take some other photos - you know, real world subjects like trees and flowers and people - and show us your "professional" understanding of photography and lighting.

Then we can go from there.

Last edited:
I am not a professional, do not want to be a professional and the only pictures I ever plan on taking is of my aquarium.

What I do want is to place a white or grey card under the lights over my aquarium and take a picture and my camera adjust white balance.

I was out taking photos earlier today when, as in a miracle, before my very eyes, Christ appeared, riding a bicycle. I immediately reached for the WB button on the lower panel of my Nikon, held the button in, and spun the rear control dial to the right...but the light coming off of him was blinding, and I did not have a 15,000 degrees Kelvin option. STUPID NIKON!!! Oh well...I'll have to be content just adjusting the WB in Lightroom.

How'd you know it was Christ? Did he look middle European?

Don't tell me Christ wears a name tag.

The blinding light was not coming from Jesus,..it was the sun reflecting off you gigantic fivehead,..I am assuming you are the "model" in your avatar.

The blinding light was not coming from Jesus,..it was the sun reflecting off you gigantic fivehead,..I am assuming you are the "model" in your avatar.

If that wasn't intended to be humorous, you might want to consider just where you go with post #20.

Blazer1 said:

Yeah....those gigantic fivehead thingies...

I noticed the thread had taken a humorous turn and yes I thought it to be very funny!

After looking at some Reef Tank shots and some comments it looks like there is a tendency to have MH or T5 lights by themselves or in combination with the LED for when taking shots of Reef Tanks, even the people that normally use only LED as their normal light source.

It also looks like there are some of the same debate on shooting in RAW and processing the files or with making Picture Control settings in the camera.
I would shoot in RAW, but make a WB preset as the lighting would remain the same during the shoot and then make a final adjustment in LightRoom.

There are some Aperture, Lightroom and Photoshop tutorials on processing the RAW photos of Reef Tanks, the common thread it adjusting the Black Point. I have seen this as well when taking shots of fish tanks and always needed to adjust the black point.

I would shoot in RAW, but make a WB preset as the lighting would remain the same during the shoot and then make a final adjustment in LightRoom.

How do I make a WB preset?

Looks like the D3300 will only hold one WB preset as you are doing. The is not the option like on some other bodies to have 5 different presets stored. I don't think that would be an issue for you.

Most reactions

Back