Beginner with dumb questions

00bolt

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi all, my name is Scott and I just recently bought a Canon S2. Its the first camera I have ever owned that isnt a simple point and shoot. Iv had the camera for about a year now and taken just simple snapshots of the family, kids, etc. But about 100% of my pictures were taken in "AUTO" mode. Iv recently been more interested in taking better pictures, so I picked up a book at the local bookstore yesterday called "Understanding Exposure". Iv learned a little already about aperture, ISO, shutterspeed, etc.

In fact I took a couple pictures in MANUAL mode that I attached. I dont really think any of them are "good pictures" because I dont get that eww ahh feeling when I look at them, but cool to me just because they werent in AUTO mode.

Which leads me to my next question. I know this is more of a personal preference / creativity thing. But my biggest problem is I dont know what to take pictures of. Or if I see something I think is cool, I dont know how to take a picture of it. What I mean is, Im learning on the technical part (iso, aperture, etc) but I dont really know what angle or where to stand, what part of the item to shoot, etc... I feel like I have no creativity or something... But not just the angle, but what to shoot. I look around and all I see are houses and telephone polls around me... lol

I guess I just want some tips/suggestions if anyone has any. They would be GREATLY appreciated! Thanks a ton... btw, here are my first ever non-AUTO pictures. Nothing fancy, just some things I saw on way to wife's family's house over the weekend

opps, couldnt figure out how to attach, anyone know how to attach files?

I made a FlickR account and posted up some of my favorite pictures. The bottom majority is some of my older pictures I have taken and like. But these are all in AUTO, the last 4-5 pictures are the new ones I did in manual

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8622398@N05/show/

Welcome to the forum

Here is a guide that will show you how to display images on the forum. I'm not sure if FlickR will allow direct linking or not. I use Photobucket.

It's great that you are trying new things with your camera. Shooting in manual is a good way to learn what different settings do. Remember that there are also priority modes, which are between manual and full auto. You can use Shutter Priority or Aperture Priority, which lets you choose the setting that is important for your shooting...and it sets the other variable to match.

so what exactly is the priority mode used for again? What does it do that manual doesnt do?

I'm not sure I can answer the priority mode question but as far as the "what to... and the eww ahhh thing, For one of those you are going to have to pay for it. By that I mean that you are going to have to invest some time and thought. If you just want a photo that Pops off the paper, you will have to learn how to light it so that you can separate the subject from the rest of the scene on top of getting it exposed and focused right.

If you want some one to say "Oh Wow, Great picture", then you are going to have to get the photo to speak to them. What I mean by this is that a photo can be used to communicate as well as just show an object. To do this you have to first decide what you wish to say and then arrange things so that they remind you -and hopefully others- of whatever it is you want said. A little like charades but done in such a way that the viewer doesn't know that they are playing. ;) Hence the "Oh Wow" part.

mike

so what exactly is the priority mode used for again? What does it do that manual doesnt do?
They are closer to auto mode than full manual...meaning that you don't have to necessarily worry about the exposure because the camera will automatically give you a standard exposure...all you have to do, is change the setting that is important to you.

For example, you are shooting an outdoor portrait and you want to blur the background. To do this, you set a wide aperture (small number) in Av mode. The camera will automatically give you the appropriate shutter speed. In manual, you would have to set the aperture and then set the appropriate shutter speed yourself.

Don't get me wrong, using manual is great...especially if you have time. But Av and Tv are great modes too.

I made a FlickR account and posted up some of my favorite pictures. The bottom majority is some of my older pictures I have taken and like. But these are all in AUTO, the last 4-5 pictures are the new ones I did in manual

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8622398@N05/show/

just want to let you know, i like your pics, they look great keeping messing around with those modes.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back