Beginner with Nikon EM

kerryann

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi,

Just wondered if anyone could help or has any ideas as to what has gone wrong? I bought a Nikon EM at weekend bought some film for it took some pictures went to have it developed and there was nothing on it! Nothing at all.

I think it could have had something to do with my other half opening the case half way through me taking pictures?? could i be right?

I think everything else is working fine with it, am i using it wrong or do you think it could be broken?

I'm new to the whole world of photography so i'm completely at a loss as to what happened please help!!

Many thanks
kerry

This is going to sound arrogant but it really isn't ...The first thing with a film camera is you need to get the film onto the advancing sprocket and spool so that when the film advances it grabs. Once the door is closed you have no idea what's going on in there.

I am assuming an EM has a thumb switch for film advance and a take up winder for retracting the film back into the canister. My Nikon FE is 30 years old and that's what it has, not sure what newer cameras have.

Anyway, Before you load the film onto the advancing sprocket and spool hold the film tab that is coming out of the 35mm canister with your thumb and tighten the film in the canister with your take up winder, once tightened return it back into it's original position, load the film onto the advancing sprocket and spool and close the back. Usually the film needs to be advanced at least 1 time before it is OK to start taking photos, so as you advance watch the take up winder and see if it moves as you advance the film - if it does the film is on OK, if not then the film is loaded wrong. Things may have changed with newer cameras but that's how I did it with my film camera.

I should go buy some film for my Praktika Super TL2 and see what it can do...once you get the film thing to work, will you share some of it with us?

Vinny's advice is spot on; when you load your film, always gentle re-tighten the winding crank and ensure that it moves as you advance the film.

When you say "nothing", what exactly do you mean? Is the film totally clear? If that's the case, then it was never exposed and the most likely cause is that you didn't load it correctly. You can get the manual for your camera here:
http://www.butkus.org/chinon/nikon/nikon_em/nikon_em.htm
Opening the back would have only affected those frames already on the take-up spool, so those not exposed would still be fine. Read the manual, buy another roll of film and try again.
Good luck!

thank you everyone i feel a bit stupid now i've got another roll of film and have been shooting very random things today just to finish the film so i can get it processed tomorrow to see if i have done it right!

thanks again!

Don't feel stupid! I think most if not all newbies when using film have done that. I know I had a whole roll of photos that were a black bear at midnight in a cave ... nothing was on the film.

One thing about processing - not all places are created equal. You may get some or all the photos coming back not looking too good, this is even true with digital as well. You may need to go to a couple of different places to find a good (great) place to do the processing.

thank you everyone i feel a bit stupid now i've got another roll of film and have been shooting very random things today just to finish the film so i can get it processed tomorrow to see if i have done it right!

thanks again!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back