Beginner

Also, this removes prime lenses from your arsenal as well - which is a HUGE downer.

You are dead on about Nikon prime lenses, but the D40 and D40x can use Sigma HSM lenses just fine, including the excellent Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC HSM, the APO MACRO 150mm F2.8 EX DG HSM, the APO MACRO 180mm F3.5 EX DG IF HSM, and a bunch of others all the way up to the massive APO 500mm F4.5 EX DG/HSM (although I don't really know why somebody would want to hang a $5000 lens on a D40).

And again, how does this change with digital?

My bad, I thought the presumption was kinda obvious. Maybe your eyes are different, and your patience higher - but I'd rather trust the lil computer on the inside of my camera, than what my eye THINKS is in focus.

I've tried manual focus before. More trouble than it was worth. I'm sure some "old schoolers" will lament a newer crowd coming in that never had to deal with manual-focus only cameras - but hey thats what progress is for; theres more than enough things to worry about in a picture, than forcibly adding focus issues into the pot.

My bad, I thought the presumption was kinda obvious. Maybe your eyes are different, and your patience higher - but I'd rather trust the lil computer on the inside of my camera, than what my eye THINKS is in focus.

I've tried manual focus before. More trouble than it was worth. I'm sure some "old schoolers" will lament a newer crowd coming in that never had to deal with manual-focus only cameras - but hey thats what progress is for; theres more than enough things to worry about in a picture, than forcibly adding focus issues into the pot.

I'm most likely younger than you and I shoot digital as well as film, so I doubt I can be considered "old school". However, I don't want the OP to be mislead or misinformation to be spread. Whether or not the camera is film or digital, when autofocus is used, there is still a computer inside the camera that is determining the focus point. Again, this does not rely on the recording medium of the camera.

I don't want to seem like I'm jumping down your throat, I was just very confused at why using digital necessitates the need for using autofocus, and if it seems that way, I apologize

However, I do agree with you in regards to the D40/D40x. It seems like a good camera, however, the lens limitation causes me to refrain from recommending it to anyone who's serious about photography. If the user decides to upgrade or branch out from digital to film or to a higher level digital camera, his stock of lenses may become useless. Plus even if he remains with the D40/D40x for most of his photographic career, his choice is rather limited.

My eyes aren't great, but I use MF primes on my Nikon often. Don't the other brands have a focus indicator in the viewfinder? Makes MF focus spot on even for the most blind of us. And be it film or digital, an out of focus image is still OOF no matter the medium.

There surely is the focus indicator when using manual on the D80 - but whats the advantage?

/shrug - I can spend seconds trying to get the thing in focus to where the light stays on, or I can just push a button and viola, does it for me.

Personal preference I suppose, but I just don't see the upside to going manual if I have af at my disposal.

Speaking as one of the old timers, the old cameras were massively easier to get into correct focus using "manual focusing" because they had focusing screens specifically designed to make the job easier. Generally (although not always) most DSLR's had a split prism circle in the middle, surrounded by a microprism collar, surrounded by ground glass. Todays DSLR's only have the ground glass, so it is far more difficult to get the focus you want manually.

It's not just that modern folks don't have the ability to focus as well as us "geezers" did "back in the day," the tools are different.

i know you said you wanted a digital, but since you work at a camera store i am assuming that you get great deals on film as well, and more than likely film processing, and you can pick up a N-55 for 150$ and then put the extra 300$ toward lenses and other goodies. I personally started out with film, just because you are conscious of you shots. But, a digital camera is less expensive in the long run.

There surely is the focus indicator when using manual on the D80 - but whats the advantage?

/shrug - I can spend seconds trying to get the thing in focus to where the light stays on, or I can just push a button and viola, does it for me.

Personal preference I suppose, but I just don't see the upside to going manual if I have af at my disposal.

Whats the advantage? Well, lets see. MF glass is cheap and built to last. AI or AI-S glass is as sharp as the latest and greatest. No plastic mounts and rings. And I have about 60 of them from before AF was in vogue. Advantage, not much.

Most reactions

Back