Beginner's advise/recommendations for grad filter system

PropilotBW

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm looking to get a set of grad filters without breaking the bank and was wondering if anybody has some recommendations? (over $200 is too much)
I have been eyeing the Cokin P series filter kit to go with my Nikon lenses. It seems to have good ratings, and is also at a good price point. Any TPF user reviews on these?

I would use these on occasion for the typical "sunset at the beach" photo. Maybe an occasional landscape photo here and there.

What would be the recommendation for Soft Edge vs Hard Edge plates?

I just purchased some Lee filters. Lee is sorta the Cadillac of filters. The grads were over $100 each (4x6 I believe). But I did discover The Filter Dude. He doesn't sell filters but all the stuff you need to hold those square/rectangle filters in front of the lens. The Filter Dude sells his 'foundation kit' for about half of what Lee charges ... and The Dude's stuff fits and works just fine. I got everything including extra slots and an adapter ring for a 105mm polarizer for $85 (IIRC). I found a Craig's Lee .9 graduated filter to augment the filters I purchased from Lee. The main reason I went Lee was because I heard/read that Lee has less color shift than any other filter even Hitech.

Good Luck and Good Shooting,
Gary

What size lenses will you be using? The p series can vignette on wider lenses

Most reactions

Back