Beginner's Camera Shopping

tess_thereb

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello all!

I have a friend that would like to start out in photography and she has asked me for help to find one within her budget. This one might be a tough one but her budget is $260. I've looked on a few used sites such as Keh.com and bh's used section. Frankly I'd like to stick with Nikon because I can help out with that brand in terms of loaning lens, but I know canon is cheaper still overall.

I did find one on bandh. A Nikon d3000 with kit lens. Would it be good enough?

Just a general body + kit lens would be good to start out with. What suggestions do you have otherwise in terms of camera and website? Thanks!

I think $219 for a 10 year-old beginner camera with an old kit zoom is too much money....about $50 too high. Look on Craigslights for a newer, better camera for anohter $20-$30...she'll be GLAD to have the much newer D3100 or D31200 models, for not much more money.

I think $219 for a 10 year-old beginner camera with an old kit zoom is too much money....about $50 too high. Look on Craigslights for a newer, better camera for anohter $20-$30...she'll be GLAD to have the much newer D3100 or D31200 models, for not much more money.

Now you see, this was the camera she had in mind when she asked me for help:

Amazon.com : Canon PowerShot SX420 IS (Black) with 42x Optical Zoom and Built-In Wi-Fi : Camera & Photo

And the feature that interested her the most was built-in wifi... let that sink in. I tried explaining as best I could that that feature shouldn't be a deciding factor when you're a beginner wanting to get into photography. Don't get me wrong, it would be a good camera to start learning about photography with but you surely won't grow as a photographer in the long-run.

Thanks for the advice!

By the way, is Craigslist a reputable site? I've heard some horror stories about it...

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Amazon.com : Canon PowerShot SX420 IS (Black) with 42x Optical Zoom and Built-In Wi-Fi : Camera & Photo

And the feature that interested her the most was built-in wifi... let that sink in. I tried explaining as best I could that that feature shouldn't be a deciding factor when you're a beginner wanting to get into photography. Don't get me wrong, it would be a good camera to start learning about photography with but you surely won't grow as a photographer in the long-run.

Thanks for the advice!

By the way, is Craigslist a reputable site? I've heard some horror stories about it...
You can get a Wi-Fi adapter for Nikon for a reasonable cost.

I've had mixed experiences with Craig's list. People have attempted to cheat me at least twice. For young women, I would say avoid it.

Incidentally, I have one of those wireless adapters that I don't use. I got it with my new camera purchase last autumn.

Thanks for the advice!

You can get a Wi-Fi adapter for Nikon for a reasonable cost.

I've had mixed experiences with Craig's list. People have attempted to cheat me at least twice. For young women, I would say avoid it.

I agree about the adapter, there are cheap refurbished ones online for under $30 :)

Craigslist has always seemed fishy to me. There's no standard to what can be posted so it's not as secure as, say Ebay.

I wouldn't trust Craigslist. KEH, B&H, Adorama, and reputable sellers on EBay are all fine. I think the d3000 is great to learn on, especially if you're willing to lend lenses. :)

I wouldn't trust Craigslist. KEH, B&H, Adorama, and reputable sellers on EBay are all fine. I think the d3000 is great to learn on, especially if you're willing to lend lenses. :)

Thank you for your response! I think we should all learn to appreciate the essence of photography more than just depending on equipment :beguiled::02.47-tranquillity:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back