Beginners equipment help?

alpin3star

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
So, my friend and I have just recently started up a graphical designing and marketing company. To do this, we obviously need some photography equipment to help communicate our company's intentions. I wasn't exactly sure where to go from here, so I decided to utilize this helpful forum! My question is, what camera and lens should we buy? I have had experience with the Nikon D70 and absolutely loved it, however, I'm not aware of the type of lens I was using (medium range zooming capabilities?). Some basics are below...

-Budget - $400-500
-Purpose - Still pictures to market products, action shots of people working on/around their product.
-Capabilities - Medium range zooming is definitely a plus, video recording NOT needed.

Although something like the Nikon D70 might not be completely necessary, and the budget is fairly low for such a camera, I would prefer to get a nice body so that in the future we could upgrade the lens to better suit different situations.

I appreciate all the help!

Regards,

Matt

What's your budget for lighting?

If you want professional looking images of your products, hire a professional commecial photographer to make them.

At $400-$500 you will need to look at used gear, about as old or older than that D70.

Entry-level gear doesn't have the ISO capability or lens quality you would need.

I have a used prosumer (semi-pro) lens for sale that would fit your needs, but use up almost your entire budget: http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/buy-sell/243848-fs-nikon-af-24-85-mm-f-2-8-4d-if-w-1-2-macro.html

I don't think you have a realistic feel for what good (not great) photography gear is going to cost you.

Last edited:
I mean, I was looking at something along the lines of the D70 body...

Nikon D70s 6.1 MP Digital SLR Camera - Body Only Kit | eBay

and the following lens...

Tamron AF 75-300mm f/4.0-5.6 Autofocus Lens for Nikon | eBay

My only issue is if they are compatible, and if the lens will take quality pictures?

Any suggestions would help!

Thanks again,

Matt

-Edit: Lighting would pretty much be on-site. The specific lighting for each project would be determined based on the budget of the actual project. For now, we just need the universal materials.

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Considering we're 18 years old and just started this small business up, we obviously can't afford professional gear. We make it aware to our clients that we are just getting started, so as far as the image quality not being pixel perfect, the price of our work is also a fraction of most. Considering that, we are simply curious on what the best quality (upgradable in the future) equipment we can get to suit our needs.

Any suggestions within our price range? :p

Thanks,

Matt

The lens you have listed isn't particularly fast. Shooting in an indoor light situation wouldn't be very much fun, or render usable image quality. Unless you have a good tripod.

Before you buy a DSLR start Googleing DIY photography (do it yourself should be a whole section of the internet ;)). Particularly in regards to product photography.

You might just get by with a $75 P&S to get you started and as KmH mentioned there is a TON more that you need aside from a camera.

I'm conufused as to what the photography equipment is for? Will you be using it one time to post images on your website/advertising? Or are you trying to say that you will be taking pictures for people of their products and marketing them? If it's the former, then why not take the budget you have and hire a pro to take pictures for you? If it's the latter then this is a serious case of putting the cart before the horse.

Who is your target market for cheap, inexperienced graphic design and marketing?

Just partner up with a real commercial photographer and pass the cost on to your clients. If you want professional results (for business use) you need to use professinal tools (the photographer).

Allan

your going to get a lot of people telling you a lot of stuff that you don't want to read. At the age of 18, I think your ambitions are awesome .. just not realistic at this point from what you have posted..

I would highly recommend that you get some real on the job experience with this venture. Starting a graphics arts business is not going to be easy and with no experience backing you up (both collage and real time experience) your going to have a really hard time.

A Point ans Shoot camera is not going to get you very far .. and with a budget of 500 dollars is not going to even come close to the equipment required to do any product marketing.

Please don't let me or anyone stand in front of your dreams .. its great that is what you want to do but there is so much more to it and real life experience and collage are a great way to start your business.

Matt, I highly recommend you get and read the following book:"The Business Side of Creativity: The complete guide to running a small graphic design or communications business" by Cameron S. FooteI have read it myself even though my business is not graphic design or communications. But a business built off creativity is applicable enough.It is quite admirable to want to start your own business at such a young age. But unless you are a creative genius, it's not terribly realistic. What I am about to suggest to you actually has nothing to do with creativity. You need real world experience. If you are good enough to start your own business, I highly recommend you put in some time at a successful design firm. I would suggest working an absolute minimum of five years with an established firm. Not only that, I also suggest you work at, at least, 2 firms. Be a sponge. Watch everything you can regarding how such businesses operate. Pay attention to how client problems are resolved. Analyze the business and take notes of what you see working, and what could be improved.You need this experience as your foundation! I put 20 years I to my field. I learned sooooo much from previous employers, both good and bad. Two of the companies I worked for were rather poorly run. One went out of business, the other had to downsize. I learned more about client relationships, and how to manage employees from these two bad examples than I learn from the successful places I have work.Matt, are you in or planning to go to college? A good school of art can do wonders to broaden your creativity and really challenge yourself.I am in the process of working with a design firm, rebranding myself, website, and marketing. There are four people at this company, and while they all have a graphic design base, they are each specialized. For example, to come up with my "story", I talked to the "wordsmith" or copy writer. They hire pros out for specialized needs beyond their scope as well, such as photography. You don't want to spread yourself too thin. Ever hear the phrase "Jack of all trades, master of none?" You want to avoid that. After looking at several companies, and judging their work, design aesthetics, and writing skills, I could only go with the most expensive of the bunch. I had too. I am a new small business, trying to grow, and I want to put the most professional face forward. I need people to go to my website and be impressed with my work, see the application of my knowledge, technique, and creativity, and at the same time know in the back of their mind that I am also expensive. I need to weed out customers before they call. Apply this to your business starting out...cheap prices, mediocre work, beginner level product photography, little experience...who are you weeding out?There is so much more to running a business than even I imagined. It is challenging, frustrating, mentally draining, yet rewarding and if you are really good at what you do...rather lucrative. I wish you luck. Just remember, you have a long road ahead of you. Try not to skip the important bits that will make the good stuff even better!

Holy crap! The latest forum upgrade ****s up all the formatting!

Awesome advice Bitter!

And yes this new patch/upgrade is efed!

Most reactions

Back