Beginners practice shots

millyb

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi,
I am new to the world of photography and I have just brought myself a Panasonic DMC FZ5. I am very pleased with it and it seems very easy to use however I am not sure what to take photos of to improve my photography (does that make sense?). For example Is there any object that you practice on to improve your macro shots?
At the momment I have been just taking photos of the family pets but I feel like I need things to practice on.
Any suggestions would be great.
Thanks,
Milly

Hi, I was long ago in the same situation as yourself, then one day I purchased a camera magazine that run a competition each month. I knew I was not up to standard to enter but used their set assignment each month to get me out doing the best I could to take photos as if I were going to enter the competition. This also gave me the chance to see what others had produced and to compare my work to theirs. I found this a good way to learn and to get motivated in all types of photography. Give it a try this could work for you.
Nice camera, I use the FZ20 as my name suggest.

Thanks for the advice, I didnt know you could buy camera magazines lol

Is there anything that I could practice on right now that?

millyb said:
Thanks for the advice, I didnt know you could buy camera magazines lol
Holy smokes, there's a lot of them out there. I like the photo competition idea. I've found that a great way to inspire creativity is to impose limits on yourself, and then take a series of images uses those limits.

To learn to see how a lens sees, shoot 24 images at 36mm (your widest angle), then 24 at 50mm (normal), 150mm, and 432mm (your max telephoto). What does each series have in common, and how do they differ from the other series.

Shoot more sets using 1/30, 1/500, and 1/2000 shutter speeds.

Try apertures at f2.8, f5.0, and f8.

That's a lot of images, but you are using digital, and subject is secondary. Pick a mix of people, buildings, action, stationary, etc. This is one of the fastest ways I know to get to know how a camera works and how an image will look based on your choices. You'll find certain settings work better with certain subjects and situations. By picking from only a set number of choices, it's easier to see the effect they have.

If you really need help with picking a subject, roll a die.

1 - portrait (single person (or pet))
2 - action shot (one or more people doing something)
3 - small object (still life)
4 - big object (car, boat, etc.
5 - building/architecture
6 - landscape

thanks that is great advice. I will be busy tommorow

Most reactions

New Topics

Back