Beginners Questions - Lenses and Software

Canuk

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
A hearty Hello Alberta Canada.
I was wondering if you guys would be able to give me some advise and direction on how I should proceed. My questions revolve around Lenses that I should look at to complete my kit, and what software I should be using.
My gear;
Canon 60D w/ 18-135kit lense
Tamron 70-200 f2.8.
Wireless Trigger

My main focus of photography has been pictures of my friends and kids racing motocross, and hockey.
I would like to be able to have a good solid set of lenses for most situations; landscape, some portraits, wild life, vacation ect.
here are my thoughts;
Sigma 10-20 f3.5
Canon 24-70L f2.8 or 24-105L F4
possibly a tele converter for my 70/200 for longer range.
An external flash is also in the cards and I am leaning towards the sigma or the 580 canon.

For the software question, I run a mac and would like to know what the advantages/disadvantages of running Apeture3 as opposed to Photoshop Elements 10. Or would I run them both together? I would like to be able to do moderate touch ups to my photos, some editing and possibly some HDR in the future.

Sorry for the wall of text, but it seemed like a better idea to get it all out so you could make better recommendations.
Thanks in advance for your time

I don't know Canon gear well enough to comment on the specific choices, but fast lenses are an absolute necessity for indoor sports, so I would be inclined to go with the 24-70L; assuming it's similar in performance to Nikon's version, you won't go wrong with it.

I guess I should mention that the 24-105 has image stabilization, and the 24-70 does not. I don't know if that's a big issue or not though. I believe which ever of those lenses I choose would be my general go to/walk around lense.

The 24-70 f/2.8L would give you a pretty complete kit. That combined with the 70-200 f/2.8 are the go to lenses to cover all of the professional basics. At the 24-70 range image stabilization is kind of overkill. There are budget options if that one is giving you heart attacks, but that is the best of the best for canon professional zooms. The canon 17-55 f/2.8 is also well loved, but if you think you may ever upgrade to a full frame camera, it won't go with so think very carefully if that is the one you choose.

Back in the days before IS/VR/OS... there were just simple things you did to avoid seeing shake in your images. The basic guideline was that your shutter speed had to be faster than the reciprocal length of your lens. With a 70mm lens that would mean your shutter had to be at least 1/70 or faster. Some teachers even taught that it had to be twice as fast as the reciprocal length of the lens making your minimum shutter 1/140 or faster.
There is also the overall rule of thumb to follow that you cannot take an image of a still life hand held at a shutter lower than 1/80 anyway. Some teachers used to teach that at 1/50... If you are shooting action and portraits you will be shooting at the very least 1/125 for still subjects, but MUCH faster. SO... IS is totally irrelevant and on certain lenses it can actually cause vibrations in your images if it is turned on.
IMO-IS (or its equal from any other brand) on a lens under about 150mm is kind of a waste of extra dollars you could spend elsewhere.

I'd also really look into adding a good speedlight to your kit. Your camera can trigger the 580EX II off camera wirelessly and it would open up a whole new world of possibilities for you.

If you are REALLY finding yourself leaning into sports I'd trade the tamron in. It will work for now, but the focus is slow as mud on it. I used one for sports when I first accidentally started into sports and I missed a LOT of shots because of it. It's awesome for portraits and macro shots, but not so hot for action. The Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 OS HSM is where I went to, but the Canon 70-200 f/2.8L without IS is in the same price range as the Sigma. The ideal would be the newest version of the Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS USM II, but $2200 was a bit out of my budget range.

I don't know aperture3 but I have seen many many debates as to using it and Lightroom and which is best. If you are in need of a cataloging program and a raw editor/developing program then I'd say it's probably worth it. If you need to actually EDIT anything you'll need a PhotoShop type program of some sort which you have in Elements 10.
Elements does have a quick editing/raw editor and cataloging program in it's browser feature which I cannot remember the name of for the life of me right now. It used to be Bridge but now it's something else in elements. Right click and "open in camera raw" when browsing.

Thank you for the advice, I wasn't sure that the IS would make that much of a difference. I don't have it on the Tamron and the only time it becomes an issue is when I'm doing things that should have a tri-pod, haha.
I am going to look at upgrading the Tamron, but for now it will have to wait. I do want to stay away from crop sensor lenses, because I don't want to buy twice if I do upgrade to full frame, I'm hoping that the 5D Mark iii will have a high spm and faster auto focus.
A flash is in my plans, but just haven't decided which one yet.

I would go with a nissen flash the 580 is way expensive and the nissen has as all the features the 580 does

Seems like you got plenty of coin to spend here. Your lens choices seem fine and like you know what you are looking for. I would stay skips the elements and go straight for the photoshop cs5. Better quality software and can do a lot more then elements.

Not that I have a ton of coin, but I hate buying things to replace them. Had I know the issues that came w/ the Tamron, I would have saved and bought the canon or the Sigma

I would go with a nissen flash the 580 is way expensive and the nissen has as all the features the 580 does

Does the nissin work with canon wirelessly? I do know that the Sigma 610DG Super works with the Canon Wireless so I would assume Nissin would do the same.
I believe Nissin is also the one that you can update your own firmware in their flashes... which is a bonus over the Sigma which has to be sent in to update should it be needed... I just had to send in 3 sigma flashes in to be updated. It cost me all of the shipping to send them to NYC, which is nothing, but it is a PITA.

The Tamron is a great lens and I did my research when I bought mine... At the time I had never even dreamed I'd shoot sports. It was for weddings and portraits only so it's shortcomings were a non issue to me... Here I am making more than half of my money from sports several years later... I learned a lesson on that one. I still have the tamron and I still use it. It's a great back up and makes it easier for me to hire a second shooter for things, so I am not TOO bad with it, but...

I just bought a sigma 17 50 which has the image stabilization and a steady 2.8 aperture along with a nice warranty from sigma. I love the lens and it takes great shots I am currently trying to fill the next spot with a 50 150 sigma 2.8 aperture but it is discontinued until they replace with image stabilization and while some people that are pretty good shooters here feel they don't need that and they probably don't new people kind of do you make mistakes and it saves you alot of the time as a noob. My 18 50 canon kit lense used to come home and 30 to 40 % of my pictures were blurry cause I sucked and was so new to the picture taking. I really think sigma and maybe tokina are a good way to go especially for new people because they difference in quality pictures is slight unless your one of the very skilled people at this awhile you cant tell the differences with a lot of lenses and when you check lens reviews you can see the lenses that are worth the maybe going for the name brand over the off brand.

I went ahead and bought the Canon 24-70 f2.8L lens today. I have read a ton of reviews and they all basically said the same thing. All of the lenses are good, but none are as good as the Canon. That being said, I know if I ever decide to sell it I will basically get my money back (I found that point very reassuring)

i have a 24-105 and a 24-70 .. they are both about the damn same and i haven't the slightest idea why canon made the 24-105. it is a bit lighter and the extra focal range is great.. also the IS makes a big difference too.. i can hand hold at almost a 1/15th .. pretty badass.. however it doesnt perform well at low light.. and i'm often forced to switch out to the 24-70.

the only reason i have both is that my partner had the 24-70 and i had the 24-105.. you really can't go wrong with either lens.. but the f2.8 does make a great bit of difference at lower light.. and you can't open up wide enough or drop the shutter speed down enough on the 24-105 (hand held) to accomplish the same shot..

especially if your shooting video and your using ambient light as your main..

long story short.. good purchase. you cant beat L glass:)

Most reactions

Back