beginning a darkroom

Andrea K

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
i am interested in learning how to develop black and white photographs, and i was going to take a class over the summer but the hours simply dont work for me. do you think i could learn to develop them by myself with the help of a book or a video that tells me how to set up a darkroom and illustrates the process or is it necessary to take a class that is hands on?

any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated! thanks :)

andreag5 said:
do you think i could learn to develop them by myself with the help of a book or a video

Assuming you are of average or better intelligence, yes.

You can certainly get things going, Andrea, with the help of books/video/TPF. ;) Don't forget we're all here, and you can ask as many darkroom questions as you want, especially in the darkroom forum where the film geeks hang out. :D

In the end, you'll still want to take that class, even if you're set up pretty well at home and have run a few prints. There is no substitute for that hands-on training, plus you'll get critique and feedback from actual prints, not something scanned where you have to factor in different monitor calibrations.

So if you want to get going, then by all means do, but keep an eye out for those class schedules till you get in. Good luck!

Most reactions

Back