Beginning Photography, Where to start? (Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JinxyCatInk

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.jinxycatink.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Currently writing articles for my magazine, since its the first issue, I thought the first article should be about How to start Photography.
Alas, I am not a photographer, so I'm puzzled on where to start myself.
Would anyone help me with this? what is the first thing a photographer needs? where do they start? what is the first lesson and technique they learn?

and if possible, if any writers see this, do you already have an article on this? would it be okay for me to use it in the magazine?

I know there are videos out there on this but i want a more personal perspective that videos may not include, as well as experiences

The very first step is understanding what photography is.
Capture of light.
Read basic books and books on composition. Like any specific industry, photography splits out from one starting place and moves outward to specialties.

Being on this forum is a good first step.
dont fret on equipment or dollars, and dont chase megapixles.

Just start off simple and play.

Additional note:

Equipment wise, just remember that any camera is just a box.
if you want a good quality and something to play with I do highly recommend a digital because you can dump the bad pics or even play with them to figure out what to do.

Why didn't you tell us you're a middle school student?! lol There's a different expectation for a published magazine and a student project/magazine. From what I read on your earlier thread I was thinking your level of writing didn't seem to be at a necessary skill level, but now reading this it makes sense.

It seems like you're doing this in an informal interview style, where people answer questions and you write the article giving various perspectives you get here.

I would say the first thing someone needs is a camera... lol Probably used and whatever someone can afford. I think you start by thinking of things that you find interesting and try taking some pictures and see what you get. You can learn from what didn't work, and figure out why and what else to try.

It will be a process of learning how to set the camera for various conditions (sunny, cloudy, shade, etc.). I'd suggest going into spring/summer to start with outdoor photos so all you need is a camera and media cards or film.

It's also a matter of learning to see what you're looking at in the viewfinder or on the viewscreen. Move around and change your vantage point, how does that change what you're getting in the frame? Keep notes on what you do when you go out and shoot so later you can go through photos and see what worked and what didn't.

Try different aperture settings, how does that make a difference in the depth of field (how much of the area in front of you is in focus)? how does it change the exposure? Try different shutter speeds starting with sync speed (usually 1/125), how does that change the exposure? how slow can you go handheld without getting blur? how does exposure change as shutter speed goes faster and freezes action/movement? How does changing ISO (light sensitivity) affect exposure and digital 'noise' or grain in film?

I think the key things are learning to frame shots and compose images, and getting proper exposures.

I can write but don't have anything written on a topic like this, but you can use comments I wrote on here for your Splattered Ink Literary Arts Magazine. That makes me think that use in your magazine would be considered editorial, and usually permission or releases aren't needed, but check with your teachers.

Sharon A.

SEEING and ideas are of primary importance. Good work can be done with a smartphone, Creativity and thinking are more important than equipment,

Why didn't you tell us you're a middle school student?! lol There's a different expectation for a published magazine and a student project/magazine. From what I read on your earlier thread I was thinking your level of writing didn't seem to be at a necessary skill level, but now reading this it makes sense.

It seems like you're doing this in an informal interview style, where people answer questions and you write the article giving various perspectives you get here.

I would say the first thing someone needs is a camera... lol Probably used and whatever someone can afford. I think you start by thinking of things that you find interesting and try taking some pictures and see what you get. You can learn from what didn't work, and figure out why and what else to try.

It will be a process of learning how to set the camera for various conditions (sunny, cloudy, shade, etc.). I'd suggest going into spring/summer to start with outdoor photos so all you need is a camera and media cards or film.

It's also a matter of learning to see what you're looking at in the viewfinder or on the viewscreen. Move around and change your vantage point, how does that change what you're getting in the frame? Keep notes on what you do when you go out and shoot so later you can go through photos and see what worked and what didn't.

Try different aperture settings, how does that make a difference in the depth of field (how much of the area in front of you is in focus)? how does it change the exposure? Try different shutter speeds starting with sync speed (usually 1/125), how does that change the exposure? how slow can you go handheld without getting blur? how does exposure change as shutter speed goes faster and freezes action/movement? How does changing ISO (light sensitivity) affect exposure and digital 'noise' or grain in film?

I think the key things are learning to frame shots and compose images, and getting proper exposures.

I can write but don't have anything written on a topic like this, but you can use comments I wrote on here for your Splattered Ink Literary Arts Magazine. That makes me think that use in your magazine would be considered editorial, and usually permission or releases aren't needed, but check with your teachers.

Sharon A.
Thanks! although actually, I'm 22.
I know my writing skills on here is quite awful, but I write differently on forums then a professional article lol. but thank you for replying. The Magazine is just a personal project of mine, I'm not trying to sell it or anything, just want to provide a free resource for beginners is all. I appreciate the info you've given me!

The very first step is understanding what photography is.
Capture of light.
Read basic books and books on composition. Like any specific industry, photography splits out from one starting place and moves outward to specialties.

Being on this forum is a good first step.
dont fret on equipment or dollars, and dont chase megapixles.

Just start off simple and play.
Thank you! hopefully, I can stay on this site, the admins think I'm trying to advertise and solicit but I'm really just trying to figure out photography itself but I know how I write the posts out is probably what's given off that vibe so i need to be careful about my wording.
this is very helpful to me so I'm gonna start my studies on composition and light capture

Sharon A.
I know my writing skills on here is quite awful, but I write differently on forums then a professional article lol. but thank you for replying. The Magazine is just a personal project of mine, I'm not trying to sell it or anything, just want to provide a free resource for beginners is all. I appreciate the info you've given me!
This is NOT a slam on you personally, but this is exactly what I elude to on a regular basis.

I am 51 and had as far as I am concerned one of the worst educations possible that allowed me to graduate.

Writing skills are not specifically determined to photography per se, but the fact that they have a common foundation and origin do have a consequence overall.

I am a huge stickler for education given that my own was so pathetically bad. It shows continuously to even this very day and I can assure everyone reading that I have been and continue to be the butt of many a joke on my lack of knowledge.

I would very strongly suggest that not only study the photographic side, but also review, reading, writing, rhetoric, math, geometry, music, astronomy, art, composition, and a host of other factors. And especially so... MASTER THE ENGLISH LANGUAGE and any other language you intend to deal in.

Trust me, it will all come together in a few years.

For people wanting a d-slr, I advocate buying a USED mid-to pro-level body that is 1,2 ,or 3 generations behind the current top-of-the-line model. D5? No--D3s, yes. D850? No, D800.

D 750? Used, not-pro-owned. D610- a good value at $700-$600 US, used. D7100, or D5500, D3400 are fine to buy new. but are basically twice the price of a used DX body.

Buy more lenses, or more lighting gear. Lenses, lighting gear, and software are JUST as critical as the body. As was stated above, "don't chase megapixels."

Sharon A.
This is NOT a slam on you personally, but this is exactly what I elude to on a regular basis.

I am 51 and had as far as I am concerned one of the worst educations possible that allowed me to graduate.

Writing skills are not specifically determined to photography per se, but the fact that they have a common foundation and origin do have a consequence overall.

I am a huge stickler for education given that my own was so pathetically bad. It shows continuously to even this very day and I can assure everyone reading that I have been and continue to be the butt of many a joke on my lack of knowledge.

I would very strongly suggest that not only study the photographic side, but also review, reading, writing, rhetoric, math, geometry, music, astronomy, art, composition, and a host of other factors. And especially so... MASTER THE ENGLISH LANGUAGE and any other language you intend to deal in.

Trust me, it will all come together in a few years.
Thanks! I am doing that right now actually lol

Websites like the Strobist have good introductions into photography: Strobist

First thing any photographer needs is of course a camera.

Any piece of art is supposed to either attract, disgust or fascinate the viewer.

The most important ingredients to a good photograph is creativity, lighting, and composition, in that order.

Creativity of course is always the thing one wants most, and is impossible to teach. One can learn how to be creative, though. Basically you need to get your subconscious get involved.

Lighting is why lighting gear, or sometimes your tripod, or if neither artificial lighting nor a tripod is an option bright lenses and large sensors are your friend. Specifically external flashes give you a huge amount of creative freedom for your photography.

Composition is really just part of technique. You can learn it.

First thing to get would be IMHO:
- A camera with professional controls, which allow to set the most important photographic parameters quickly. Like a Nikon D700 ($500 and falling, used).

- A prime lens in the area of 28mm to 60mm full frame equivalent (wide to normal). Good choices for Nikon would be Voigtländer Color Skopar 28mm f2.8 SLii, Zeiss Distagon 35mm f2 ZF, Nikkor AF 35mm f2, Nikkor AF-S 35mm f1.4, Nikkor AF 50mm f1.8, Voigtländer 58mm f1.4 SLii, Nikkor AF-S 58mm f1.4, Nikkor AF 60mm f2.8 micro.

- A flash and a flash cable. Ideally a Phottix remote triggerable flash.

Currently writing articles for my magazine, since its the first issue, I thought the first article should be about How to start Photography.
Would anyone help me with this? what is the first thing a photographer needs? where do they start? what is the first lesson and technique they learn?

and if possible, if any writers see this, do you already have an article on this? would it be okay for me to use it in the magazine?

I know there are videos out there on this but i want a more personal perspective that videos may not include, as well as experiences

The first thing a photographer needs is a desire to be a photographer.

Websites like the Strobist have good introductions into photography: Strobist

First thing any photographer needs is of course a camera.

Any piece of art is supposed to either attract, disgust or fascinate the viewer.

The most important ingredients to a good photograph is creativity, lighting, and composition, in that order.

Creativity of course is always the thing one wants most, and is impossible to teach. One can learn how to be creative, though. Basically you need to get your subconscious get involved.

Lighting is why lighting gear, or sometimes your tripod, or if neither artificial lighting nor a tripod is an option bright lenses and large sensors are your friend. Specifically external flashes give you a huge amount of creative freedom for your photography.

Composition is really just part of technique. You can learn it.

First thing to get would be IMHO:
- A camera with professional controls, which allow to set the most important photographic parameters quickly. Like a Nikon D700 ($500 and falling, used).

- A prime lens in the area of 28mm to 60mm full frame equivalent (wide to normal). Good choices for Nikon would be Voigtländer Color Skopar 28mm f2.8 SLii, Zeiss Distagon 35mm f2 ZF, Nikkor AF 35mm f2, Nikkor AF-S 35mm f1.4, Nikkor AF 50mm f1.8, Voigtländer 58mm f1.4 SLii, Nikkor AF-S 58mm f1.4, Nikkor AF 60mm f2.8 micro.

- A flash and a flash cable. Ideally a Phottix remote triggerable flash.
thank you!

hmm good point! what are the hardships that you endeared being a photographer?

what is the first thing a photographer needs?

I would say the desire to illustrate a moment in time and space for yourself or to share with others.
Many people have devices that can take a picture ... many do not use it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back