Being Approached

BobSaget

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Wondering if anyone has any funny, strange, interesting stories about being approached while taking photos.

Last month I was was taking some hdr shots of a gazebo in a local park and was approached by a middle aged lady who started quizzing me about who I was and why I was taking photographs. She was not polite about this and somewhat demanding. I just gave her polite one or two word answers and couldn't figure out her issue. As I was wrapping up I noticed she approached a swing set and collected her children. this was at least 50 yds away from me and not in frame. I understand the whole "Mother Bear" thing but come on. I'm sure the mustache I was sporting didn't help matters much, but I'm not shaving it off just to look less creepy.

I had a guy come off his property and follow me passed a couple houses to a minimum maintenance road where I was taking a few pictures to ask me who I was and how I thought it could possibly be ok to be taking pictures there. It's a public road. I ride horses on it. I just told him I was taking pictures of my friend and it's a public place, so we were allowed to be there. He wasn't happy about it, though. But, seriously, his house was behind us and a ways off. Not like I was taking pictures of him or his dogs.

While taking one of my historic panoramic recreations, I had a woman stop her truck in the middle of the road..... "WHAT ARE YOU DOING?!?!?", she demanded.

"I'm taking a picture," I replied.

"WHAT FOR?!?!?!"

"Because in 1909, someone took a photo of this intersection from the same................."

"WELL, IF HE TOOK ONE, WHAT DO YOU NEED TO TAKE ONE FOR?!?!?!?!"

"Well, because his was in black and white, and it's over 100 years old, and I'm..............."

"WHO DO YOU WORK FOR?!?!?!"

"Myself."

"WHAT IS THIS PICTURE GOING TO BE USED FOR?!?!?!?!?"

That's when I decided to just ignore her. She eventually drove away.

I've been asked several times what paper or magazine I'm with, and what story I'm doing. :biglaugh:

This last time, I was asked "who's here?"
I asked the woman to repeat the question.
She said again "who's here?"
I told here I am not understanding what she means.

She thought I was the paparazzi, and someone famous was nearby. :confused:

Yeah, this happens occasionally. I agree that if you're polite they usually go away. I've also been asked to leave when I wandered onto private property and I did so immediately.

Wondering if anyone has any funny, strange, interesting stories about being approached while taking photos.

Last month I was was taking some hdr shots of a gazebo in a local park and was approached by a middle aged lady who started quizzing me about who I was and why I was taking photographs. She was not polite about this and somewhat demanding. I just gave her polite one or two word answers and couldn't figure out her issue. As I was wrapping up I noticed she approached a swing set and collected her children. this was at least 50 yds away from me and not in frame. I understand the whole "Mother Bear" thing but come on. I'm sure the mustache I was sporting didn't help matters much, but I'm not shaving it off just to look less creepy.

That's hilarious. Probably should reconsider not shaving the mustache haha.

Never been approached, ever...not once...so lonely.

Nothing all that funny or interesting, but it does seem like it's been happening to me more and more lately.

I work for public transit, and a small part of my job includes photography. I've been stopped several times by a bus or trolley operator who hasn't been there long and doesn't know who I am. It's usually the women, and they say "Excuse me, but I don't think we're supposed to allow people to take pictures." Which always cracks me up--we have NO policy of that sort, and I know for a fact that they aren't told not to allow it. It's happened several times now, and so far, every single time, when I show my badge and explain what I'm doing, they immediately start fixing their hair up or putting on lipstick.

I also get a lot of looks when I go out on a lunchtime photo shoot downtown and do macro stuff. I can understand it, because I'm getting so close to my subject, and yet most people wouldn't have any idea what my subject even IS.
I've been out stalking an insect before, carefully tracking it and edging closer and closer to be able to get what I want. Then all of a sudden, some guy comes walking right up, sticks his nose way down close to where I am so he can try to figure out what I'm looking at, then says, "What are you doing?" And I want to say, "Well, I WAS trying to get a picture of that rare insect that I've been tracking for the last half hour, but now...now, I'm just sitting here talking to you and staring at the dirt." :lol:

I've been out stalking an insect before, carefully tracking it and edging closer and closer to be able to get what I want.
Glad to hear you have no shame. recently, I was standing next to a service road by a drainage canal shooting the cars on the interstate. It was close to midnight and a car on the service road slowed then stopped and the driver started starting at me. I just shrugged at him as if to say "yeah I know this looks strange." Here's my evidence: Interstate | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

I've been asked several times what paper or magazine I'm with, and what story I'm doing. :biglaugh:
Yep. Stock answer - "I freelance."

Plus the famous, uber perceptive - "What's the camera for?" (Answer. "To make photographs.")

In the US, I wear a tee shirt with French on it, so no one tries any questions.

skieur

I was shooting a building ... standing on a sidewalk shooting across the street. A cabby honked at me and waved wildly. I kinda smiled and waved and went back to what I was doing. I heard a honk again and looked down and saw the cab had pulled up and the cabby had rolled down the window and was waving wildly at me to come over. I approached cautiously.

"Ummm... yes?" I said.

"I'M READY FOR MY CLOSEUP!!!! DO I NEED TO DO ANY NUDES? I CAN TOTALLY DO THAT!!!"

He then started laughing and peeled out and drove away, cackling as he went.

I have plenty of others where people have accused me of being a terrorist and such, but this one was more upbeat than those. :)

Huh...weird...I've only ever had positive experiences. Last time I was out an about some guy started talking to me and before I knew it he invited be to photograph the people at his barbeque. Got free food and beer just for having a camera.

PlanetStarbucks said:
Huh...weird...I've only ever had positive experiences. Last time I was out an about some guy started talking to me and before I knew it he invited be to photograph the people at his barbeque. Got free food and beer just for having a camera.

Does that make you a pro? ;)

I haven't had any negative experiences...yet. One that I remember was when I was shooting at this location (not this shot).
Kananaskis-06.jpg

I had the camera on a tripod, right near the water's edge, pointing down at 30-45 degrees. An old guy walked by and watched for a minute, then finally asked what was so interesting about the water right there. I had to explain that I was shooting with an ultra wide angle lens and I was actually getting the shore, the lake, the trees and the mountain in the shot.

Most reactions

Back