Being in college sometimes sucks.

I'll sell you my metal-body Calumet/Orbit monorail for $85 shipped (it's one of these http://cgi.ebay.com/Calumet-4x5-LON...ryZ15247QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem). I'm trying to upgrade. I'll throw in a recessed #0 lens board, a flat #1, and a 50 sheet box of expired Kodak EPY. It's a little bit of a clunker but great to learn on...no light leaks or anything. It originally had a loose adjustment/lock for the rise on the front standard, which I repaired. You should be able to pick up some 4x5 holders for $8-$10 a piece and a good lens for pretty cheap. KEH has a 90mm f6.8 Schneider Angulon in shutter for $150, along with some other good deals. PM me if you're interested.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
If you're a photography major, why not ask the art department or your professors? My school, despite sucking to holy hell, has a pretty good art department. We have both medium and large format cameras for photography majors to use.

4 MF
2 LF

Just estimating I'd say 35mm is about $.20 per shot while LF is about $1 per shot which means if I can improve my shots by a factor of 5 by being forced to work on technique I'll be shooting at about the same cost.

Only a student could twist reality in such an attempt to fool themselves into justifying something that is not justifiable... lol

Why not try to shoot 35mm 5 times better than you are now and be able to afford it right away without unbalancing your entire budget? Its not about the equipment in this case if you are wanting to shoot 5 times better... that's within YOU, not the format of your camera. ;)

Only a student could twist reality in such an attempt to fool themselves into justifying something that is not justifiable... lol

And now you know why Tigers sometimes eat their offspring.:lol:

Shooting LF has a lot of perks for a student IMO. Expired film is easy to come by, especially on eBay, the camera won't do anything for you, you have to learn to work with an external meter, and it makes contact printing a) possible for real prints instead of sheets, and b) easier IMO. The only limitation is the size of the school's enlarger. It also makes you look like the most badass student photographer on campus. I had a 15x20ft backdrop setup in my dorm room and I'd shoot LF portraits of fellow students...it was quite a fun experience, all notoriety aside.

I wish I was in the photography department... As I stated earlier the camera was scheduled to be a birthday present so that itself wouldn't cause an imbalance in my budget film being the only major expense. Once I graduate I'll probably move up to a real view camera from the speed graphic. Most likely I'll have to rent darkroom time to do my printing because I'm not allowed to take the next film class as I'm not a photography major. I might try sneaking in to a relatively empty class but that probably isn't going to work all the time. Film I'm going to try to do at home with a changing bag and a light tight tank. If that doesn't work out too well I might just tape up the door in my bathroom for a temporary darkroom.

Hm....can't help you there then. I'd say go on ebay and look for really old LF cameras.

I remember seeing this keg sized large format camera (all wood construction) sell for about $200. Had a lens, board, bellows was in great condition. The camera itself was a german camera about 70 years old.

Hm....can't help you there then. I'd say go on ebay and look for really old LF cameras.

I remember seeing this keg sized large format camera (all wood construction) sell for about $200. Had a lens, board, bellows was in great condition. The camera itself was a german camera about 70 years old.

That seems to be the plan we'll see how it works out.

Most reactions

Back