Being JonMikal

jocose

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.musingsofjocose.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Here's a little thread that clarinetJWD and I thought we'd start. All are welcome to join. The title pretty much says it all:

IMG_3655.jpg

IMG_3669.jpg

I thought of Jon when I shot this.

_MG_9467t-vi.jpg

yeah, since you wanna revive a 'dumb' thread, let me show you how it's done :biglaugh:

43380448-O-1.jpg

You can't post pictures in this thread...it defeats the whole point :lmao:

Besides, haven't you ever heard that imitation is the highest form of flattery?

Oh, I'm not done. I have another pic I'm about to post, and I have a great story behind it...you'll love it.

ya know, i can't remember for the life of me where i was standing when i took this. steps of the older art building near where you took the reflection shot you just posted?

JonMikal said:
ya know, i can't remember for the life of me where i was standing when i took this. steps of the older art building near where you took the reflection shot you just posted?

Yea, by the glass things. Actually I was standing on the stairs there.

jocose said:
OK, so I had to show two forms of ID to get this shot...

IMG_4981.jpg

did you carry mine along for angle comparision? i'd swear they were identical. if you got by only two DOJ guards, you did well!

JonMikal said:
did you carry mine along for angle comparision? i'd swear they were identical. if you got by only two DOJ guards, you did well!

No I didn't, but when I shot the other door (the one closer to the Post Office) first. There was no one around, so I just set up the tripod and had at it. Then I started heading up toward Archives, and I saw the other door, and there was a very nice older guard standing there, so I asked him if I could take a picture of the mosaic. He asked me if I had ID, so I showed him my NASA badge, and he said no problem. We were chatting and he told me that the mosaics by the gate entrance had just been redone and I should check that out. (Oh, I forgot, he called it in on my walkie-talkie that there was a government employee taking pictures of the mosaics). I told him that this particular mosaic had special meaning. We continued chatting and he was telling me how he agreed how absurd the whole not being allowed to take pictures thing was. He said if I were to step off the curb there would be nothing he could do to stop me, all the CCTV cameras had already taken MY picture, so who cared? And that's not even counting the thousands of tourists a day who walk by and take pictures.

Anyway, so when I was done, I went back over to the gate entrance and asked if I could take a picture of that mosaic. They asked for my ID, then they called the inspector who came out and looked at my ID, then they called someone else. Finally it was agreed that I could take pictures of the mosaics as long as it was only of the mosaic, no the gate, and I was outside of the gate. After I took two pictures (which I happily showed to the guard (who actually seemed excited to look at them), and was packing up the cam and the tripod, they asked me for my driver's license. Then they asked if they could photocopy it. I said they could but wanted to know why they had to. The chief was there (actually for an unrelated thing, but stuck around because of me). He told the guard to just write down the info he needed and that he didn't need to photocopy my license.

Having said all of that, I got some good mosaic pics, the guards were super friendly and recognized the absurdity of the events occurring, and I was soooo tempted to walk across the street and take a picture of the gate. Butu I decided that I didn't want to spend Christmas Day in jail, so I didn't. I walked up to Gallary Place/China Town and got on the Red Line and went home.

sorry for your troubles. some depts can be so paranoid :) but i'm sure you understand why.

you can shoot the door/gate all day long from the sidewalk....just don't step closer with your cam without permission.

thanks for the shots jo.....they're a treat to see!

Most reactions

Back