Being pushed into taking money

ralphh

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
*sigh* this has a wiff of dad-with-cam, but here we go.. :lol:

I have no interest in being a professional photograher or even semi pro. I have a 9-5 job that pays better than I could ever make at photography, and besides, I quite like my photography without the stress.

However, first one of my friends at work and now one of my wifes friends from baby play group has seen photos of I've taken of my daughter and begged me to take photos of their kids and of course I'm happy to do it.

The problem is that when I said yes (perhaps I looked a little pained at the thought of my saturday morning going down the toilet) they quickly said "I'll pay you of course". Damn. I tried to say no, but it wasn't working it - was actually going to become embarasing, so I ended up agreeing. If you've seen the episode of Family Guy where Peter and the giant chicken both want to pay the bill and end up in a brawl over it...? Ok, it wasn't that bad, but they were quite insistent.

This now leaves me worried. I have a feeling I now need insurance - if I suggest we put little johnny on the bed and he falls off and lands on his head I suspect that, as someone who was taking money rather than just in the room as a family friend, I'm going to be liable :grumpy:

The up side is the my house insurance does not cover my camera, so I've been thinking about getting it insured seperately anyway. Adding £1m public liability is about an extra £5 on a £140 policy, so that's not an issue to me.

There's no point bothering with a business plan - my plan is to do these two and not admit I have a camera to anyone else :lol:

There's no permits needed in the UK as such as far an I know. Tax wise, yeah I can pop it on my tax return if my conscience reminds me next April - either way the tax man is not exactly going to be breaking down my door for his share of £50.

Is there anything else I need in order to cover my @rse? I'm happy to make more or less no money, I'm not happy to wind up more out of pocket than I started or spend the next 3 months of my life filling in forms.

Or is this just a massive can of worms I really don't ever want to open, and I'd be better off trying to renegotiate this deal so they pay me in dinner and wine? Is that at least safe??? I have no idea...

First off, ask for cash and then never claim it on your taxes.

Secondly just have her bake you a cake or give you a 12 pack of your favorite brew instead.

Why not suggest either your favorite charity or theirs?

And benig paid in beer stops this from becoming a business transaction? If so then great.

mmm beeer..

Why not suggest either your favorite charity or theirs?

That is a bloody brilliant idea!

In fact, I even know which one -- I can't belive I didn't think of it -- there's a local charity that provides home support to new mums, whether it's just someone to come hold baby for an hour while mum does the hoovering, or someone to talk to or whatever. With me at work full time and no family near by at all, my wife was struggling to cope in the first few months and she has a nice lady who pops buy for an hour a week. She was thinking of becoming a volenteer when our daughter is older. This way I can give something back too.

Thanks Designer!

I've had the same situation a couple of times; the thing is, the people who have asked me to do portrait shoots for them aren't even basing it on pictures of PEOPLE I've done. They've just seen my photography and love it, so they're "just sure" I'll do a great job taking portraits of their daughter, or mother. Because we all KNOW that the ability to take pictures of birds, insects and inanimate objects translates easily and immediately into the ability to take stunning people portraits. :lmao:

I was in the same boat as you, where I'd basically already agreed to let one of my friends pay me something for the shoot I'm going to do of her daughter. But the more I thought about it, the more uncomfortable it made me. She didn't buy the whole argument that I'm not a portrait photographer, I don't know how they'll look and would rather just do them to practice my people photography skills.

But in the end, I just told her basically what you're saying--but instead of putting it in terms of my *ability* I just explained that photography is a hobby for me, and that if I start shooting people for money, in order to do it "right", I'd have to get a business license and insurance, and deal with sales tax reports and all that, and *that's* why I'd rather not let them pay me. She was much more understanding of that than the "I don't really have the skills" argument.

So, you tell her that and then suggest that once you've done the shoot, if she really likes the pictures, she takes what she would have paid you and gives it to the charity you mentioned, or takes you out to lunch or dinner, something like that.

I love the charity idea by the way--I'm going to suggest that my friend can donate something to the women's ministry I lead, or to our Boy Scout troop.

Or the worst one; "You can take nice photos. Can you do my daughters wedding?" Aaaagh!! Run for the hills!!! :lol:

It is so great when photographers give of their talents for the good of others, I wish all photographers would adapt this attitude. You will be truly blessed for doing so.

If someone insists in paying you, and you don't want to be paid, simply tell them to pay you what they're comfortable with...

If you don't want to piss away your Saturdays tell them it will cost them thousands plus they have to buy prints. That will change their minds and give you back your Saturdays to take pictures of your kids.

LOL

While that might be effective, i think the charity idea will cause a lot less agro all round!

WTF your starting to think like an American and talk like one get real just shot it take the cash and go out and have a free night on the beer

:lmao:

The charity bit or the worried about getting sued bit? (or both?)

The worried about getting sued bit of course ;)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back