Bellows

duhast

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Dug out my old Minolta bellows for my SRT101 35mm film camera. I've wanted to use my 3 old lenses on the T3i, but have given up on that idea pretty much...until now.

Considering that it is difficult to use MD lenses on an EOS body, does that change with a bellows? I mean, could I fit a glassless adapter to the T3i, attach the bellows, and then use my old Minolta glass for closeup photography?

In theory this could work but on high end bellows there are electronics in the bellows which allow the camera body and lens to communicate (e.g. the Novaflex bellows do this, but Novaflex bellows aren't cheap!)

If you were to adapt the bellows to the EOS mount, the lens would have to be completely manual. Can you manually control the aperture on your Minolta lenses?

Last edited:

Last edited:
I've used a Nikon PB-6 bellows plus the PB-6E extension bellows with Canon bodies with excellent results, up to 23x with a reversed 20mm lens. I sold it when I purchased the 1DII as it was no longer usable on that body, wish I still had it now for my 5DII.

Why wouldn't it be usable? The lens doesn't care what body is on the other end, and a mechanical adapter would simply increase the extension a bit.... who cares about infinity focus when you're using a bellows?

Last edited:
In theory this could work but on high end bellows there are electronics in the bellows which allow the camera body and lens to communicate (e.g. the Novaflex bellows do this, but Novaflex bellows aren't cheap!)

If you were to adapt the bellows to the EOS mount, the lens would have to be completely manual. Can you manually control the aperture on your Minolta lenses?

Yeah, this is all vintage 1972 stuff...

The non removable grip of the 1DII got in the way of mounting the body, Nikon pro bodies have the same problem I think. It would mount with an extension tube but then you couldn't move the camera for focus, only the lens.

Ah, just get a Sawzall........
sawzall-smiley.gif

Most reactions

Back