bench at sunset

Osmer_Toby

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
i played with this so much i can't even decide if it's worth keeping. any value at all to this? at the very least, there's something wrong with the bench in my opinion, but i can't figure out what to do to it to make it right....

empty-bench.1.jpg

The bench is bright enough to draw attention, but dark enough that it's hard to make out. It draws the eye away from the sky and buildings in the back. It's a great idea, but I don't know how it could be saved and made into something really cool. :( I mean, I can see potential there, but me personally, I don't know how to bring it out. :|

Shark said:
The bench is bright enough to draw attention, but dark enough that it's hard to make out. It draws the eye away from the sky and buildings in the back. It's a great idea, but I don't know how it could be saved and made into something really cool. :( I mean, I can see potential there, but me personally, I don't know how to bring it out. :|

my thoughts exactly. seems like it should have potential, but i can't figure out how to bring it out.

The back and legs of the bench looks blurred or out of focus ... the seat for some reason doesn't seem as bad.

my eyes keep on getting drawn to the upper left (the sun..). is that a bad thing? i'm not an artist, but it may help you...

Lose the sky. Crop out the sky and then view your shot.

Scroll down in the post until the sky has just become invisible and you'll notice that the remaining outcrop has a whole differrent feel and mood.

The focus interplay on the bench and it's selective light level lends to the photo's sureal appeal.

The reflection of the sun on the water is proof enough that the sunset exists and that the photo doesn't actually need the sky to make it work.

The photo might be improved even more if the levels were raised globally by a hair.

These are just more things to try. It's already a nice photo.

The selective use of the Brightness/contrast on the flowers and parts of the bench is really what works for me

I prefer the more highly saturated version to the desaturated one.

Plus I think this photo has two subjects and it's not easy to decide for one or the other.
The first part that appeared on my screen was the photo without its bottom, i.e. without the bench. And I thought: Hey, this one's nice. Then I added the bench and got confused. What did he want to catch? The bench? Or the sunset?

Those were my initial thoughts, then I proceeded to read what others had to say. And I tend to agree with canonrebel: crop the sky. I tried it the easy way, i.e. by shifting the picture up and down on my screen and came to the conclusion that if you want to save the lighthouse, you will still have to foresake it's tip. Then you get a fraction of sun left, its reflection on the water - which will explain the light on the bench.

It could be my monitor, but all in all this photo appears dark - apart from the one bright spot which is the sun.

Hehe, granted I am VERY new at this, but the first solution that came to my mind was to crop out the bench. Scroll up and check it out, I like the shot a lot with no bench.

LaFoto said:
I prefer the more highly saturated version to the desaturated one.

Plus I think this photo has two subjects and it's not easy to decide for one or the other.
The first part that appeared on my screen was the photo without its bottom, i.e. without the bench. And I thought: Hey, this one's nice. Then I added the bench and got confused. What did he want to catch? The bench? Or the sunset?

Those were my initial thoughts, then I proceeded to read what others had to say. And I tend to agree with canonrebel: crop the sky. I tried it the easy way, i.e. by shifting the picture up and down on my screen and came to the conclusion that if you want to save the lighthouse, you will still have to foresake it's tip. Then you get a fraction of sun left, its reflection on the water - which will explain the light on the bench.

It could be my monitor, but all in all this photo appears dark - apart from the one bright spot which is the sun.

my thoughts exactly...it looks like two pictures in one...there's one too many subjects, crop out the bench and make the sky and buildings more of a panoramic shot, or crop out the sky (taking out the tip of the lighthouse)....

Most reactions

New Topics

Back