Benefits of film photography?

Digital is rapidly creeping up on the resolution of film. And, who knows? They just may be holding back some to allow more sales of the old technology.

Personally, I don't care about resolution. It's the "look" of film that I like, and the 'too smooth' look that digital has that I don't like. To me, that slight imperfection of film is an advantage.

Personally, I don't care about resolution. It's the "look" of film that I like, and the 'too smooth' look that digital has that I don't like. To me, that slight imperfection of film is an advantage.

A...ha. Now there's a fellow that I can get along with.. :thumbup:
To me, screw everything else .. the most important thing in my book is how it prints.

Some digital cameras produce more pleasing prints than others.... regardless of specs, pixels, resolution, etc... IMO, film is still king (albeit no where close to as convenient)

I always think of film as more convenient "Sorry you can't come in quite yet I'm printing" *continues with whatever he was doing previously* However you must develop SOME film to make this story believable...

A...ha. Now there's a fellow that I can get along with.. :thumbup:
To me, screw everything else .. the most important thing in my book is how it prints.

Some digital cameras produce more pleasing prints than others.... regardless of specs, pixels, resolution, etc... IMO, film is still king (albeit no where close to as convenient)
Well, I'm still a film guy, but there is one more thing I have to concede. Photos from many digitals taken at ISO 1600 today are more acceptable noise wise than the grain from ISO 1600 film.

On the plus side for film, I much prefer it over digital when it comes to skin tones, especially when using any of the Kodak 160 pro films that were on the market.

The nice thing about film too is that it is more likely to be put in photo albums or in frames. Digital usually just end up on the hard and are not physically displayed somewhere:confused:

Also film cameras help a person understand the workings of photography better.

I'd disagree with that assertion... a student can borrow a digital slr and shoot all day long, experimenting and seeing instant results. It's much more expensive and slower to learn on film.

Of course it depends on the personality, some people have to be FORCED to slow down, and film does help with that.

Well, I'm still a film guy, but there is one more thing I have to concede. Photos from many digitals taken at ISO 1600 today are more acceptable noise wise than the grain from ISO 1600 film.

noise != grain.

Personally, I'd rather have the grain than chromatic noise.

^ I agree.

Also, with film
- your camera doesn't become obsolete every 6 months
- no dusty sensor issues
- tons of terrific equipment available for peanuts
- beautiful cameras made of metal, chrome, wood and leather
- no concern over which "program/metering mode" to use
- bystanders who admire your eccentricity :)

I have had my digital camera for two years now and it is still very good

I'd disagree with that assertion... a student can borrow a digital slr and shoot all day long, experimenting and seeing instant results. It's much more expensive and slower to learn on film.

Of course it depends on the personality, some people have to be FORCED to slow down, and film does help with that.

I agree. film photography is so expensive. the benefits of using film does not make the cost worth while

For me, it's film. I enjoy setting up the shot, checking cam settings, making adjustments, etc. Anticipating if i got the shot or not. Getting the prints back and eventually developing my own, what fun. I'm a Avionics, Electronics and computer tech, and troubleshooting down to component level is more fun and challenging than just swapping boards out. IMHO, film is like component level and Digital is like swapping boards out. No challenge for me. But everyone's different, just enjoy the hobby.

The only difference to me is time and cost, digital wins at both. I can still set up the shot, check the camera settings, make adjustments, etc... the only difference is that I don't have to wait to see the results, I'm OK with that.

I dont mind waiting, gives me something to look forward to. I dont worry bout cost, might have to drink a few less beers, but thats ok. I do use my digitals for quick shots to send to someone via email or for quick posting on sites.
You say tomato i say tomaaaato, they both taste good.

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the process... I relate it to shaving, I have a vast collection of old razors and sometimes break out the double edge, badger hair brush, shave soap and bowl and have a proper shave. End result is basically the same, but there's some added pleasure in doing things 'the old way'.

LOL! yes, i love the old ways. I do love my 4 blade razor. Would you freak out if i said i love the 70's? I miss the good ol days.

Most reactions

Back