Judobreaker

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.rvanantwerpen.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey guys, here's a shot I did some time ago when I was in Berlin.
This is my first 'serious' attempt on HDR photography, I'd like to know what you think of it. :)

20110923_161247_hdr_small.jpg

you need more exposures, especially on the low end

It's definitely HDR, try taking a photo directly into the bright sun and you'll see why. :p
I'm not one for heavy surrealistic HDR effects though.

I agree that the lowest end still is rather underexposed, an additional shot would've definitely helped there. :)

It's lifeless, underexposed and poor of composition. I'd like more of the city there. The image is balanced wrong, I think. The panoramic crop doesn't work very well at this moment, in my humble opinion.

It's definitely HDR, try taking a photo directly into the bright sun and you'll see why. :p

HDR is not about looking surrealistic, its about expanding the dynamic range of an image. I think this could of been captured in a single frame with a few local adjustments.

i love shooting into the sun. Just have to know how to do it

1/5 city, 4/5 sky.
1. Work on your composition, keep the rule of thirds in mind
2. Shooting into the sun is fine, just take more exposures. Obviously your city here is heavily underexposed.
3. Shoot the sun a little later in the day where they might be some nice casts on the clouds which will be more appealing in the finished image.

HDR is not about looking surrealistic, its about expanding the dynamic range of an image. I think this could of been captured in a single frame with a few local adjustments.

Possibly, but to be honest I would not know how to do that. :p
When I made the shot and got the sky in the right exposure the skyline was nearly black.
It's still underexposed, I know, but it's a lot better than it was. ^^

Avoid shooting into the sun.

Well that's just stupid. :p
Just because it is hard it's no reason to avoid it... Actually, all the more reason to practice with it.

1/5 city, 4/5 sky.
1. Work on your composition, keep the rule of thirds in mind
2. Shooting into the sun is fine, just take more exposures. Obviously your city here is heavily underexposed.
3. Shoot the sun a little later in the day where they might be some nice casts on the clouds which will be more appealing in the finished image.

Yeah, the composition is a bit weird I know.
The problem was I had to choose between this and some weird looking building which was cut off about halfway. I liked this better. ^^
I'll try to remember to make more exposures next time I make a shot like this.
That last one is probably also a good idea, I don't really take day times into account that much yet which is sometimes a real problem for me. :p

Most reactions

Back