Besides the terrible buffer is there any reason I shouldn't get a D7100?

congrats on the new camera. Eagerly awaiting new BIFs

The buffer is smaller on the D7100 but it seems to clear very quick. On the D300 I can get about 20 shots, but then it takes about a second to clear each shot to the card. The D7100 seems to be able to sustain 3-4 fps after the small buffer is full, which isnt the end of the world

Quality Professional 95+mb cards will really help speed things up on the D7100 as well. I shoot Large Fine Jpeg and started off using 45mb cards. My D7100 would really struggle with burst mode. So I switched to a pair of Pro 95mb cards and it was a night and day difference.

Anyhow, I also have a D300 and D7100. I understand some of the differences between the two but I really think you're going to enjoy the end results of using the D7100.

As for size, there is a marginal size difference and a noticeable weight difference. The D7100 is lighter and doesn't feel as stout as the D300. So I feel like I have to baby it more than my D300.

Great Owl shots.

I've learned (for my kids sports) to be more timely in my shots to prevent buffer lockout. And then I'll burst only a few, pause slightly, and burst again. I recently ordered a 90/95 Extreme Pro refurb'd card (16gb for $30) to replace the 30 Ultra I have been using. I'm hoping that it will make a big difference on my d7000.

The buffer is smaller on the D7100 but it seems to clear very quick. On the D300 I can get about 20 shots, but then it takes about a second to clear each shot to the card. The D7100 seems to be able to sustain 3-4 fps after the small buffer is full, which isnt the end of the world

Quality Professional 95+mb cards will really help speed things up on the D7100 as well. I shoot Large Fine Jpeg and started off using 45mb cards. My D7100 would really struggle with burst mode. So I switched to a pair of Pro 95mb cards and it was a night and day difference.

Anyhow, I also have a D300 and D7100. I understand some of the differences between the two but I really think you're going to enjoy the end results of using the D7100.

As for size, there is a marginal size difference and a noticeable weight difference. The D7100 is lighter and doesn't feel as stout as the D300. So I feel like I have to baby it more than my D300.

The work wonders even for the older equipment, I have one for my D5100 and have ordered another. Night and day difference between shooting with it and shooting with the old 30 mb/sec cards

Congratulations on the buy! As for the grip, I highly recommend it. Just made the camera more balanced in my hands.

I knew I would need a grip. The balance with my lens was not gonna work out well.. I just picked up a generic as they all seem to be about the same and having an extra battery will be a plus. The D300 with a grip is easily good for over 2K shots. 32gb Sandisk 95 mb/s card ordered also. As I was walking in the woods, I realized one of the best advantages with my lens. I will be able to put 16mp on the FOV of 240-600 F2.8 in crop mode! That will make for some fun low light birding especially if I'm good to go at ISO 800 :)

I often get 1500+ shots with my grip on, and ISO 800 is absolutely not a problem. I shoot my night time drifting events at 1600, and sometimes creep higher depending on track lighting. The D7100 is truly an amazing camera!

I knew I would need a grip. The balance with my lens was not gonna work out well.. I just picked up a generic as they all seem to be about the same and having an extra battery will be a plus. The D300 with a grip is easily good for over 2K shots. 32gb Sandisk 95 mb/s card ordered also. As I was walking in the woods, I realized one of the best advantages with my lens. I will be able to put 16mp on the FOV of 240-600 F2.8 in crop mode! That will make for some fun low light birding especially if I'm good to go at ISO 800 :)

Ya, my D7100 feels off balance using my 70-200mm 2.8 VRII. So I could only imagine what it would be like with a 150-300mm 2.8 lens. The extra juice should help with burst shots as well.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back