Best 3rd party ultra wide angle zoom lens?

I'd go for light fall off and distortion. Lightroom (at least Lightroom 3) has a corection preset for the Sigma, but not for the Tamron. Also, IMO the CA-tool in LR is really a useless feature (or maybe I'm just too stupid to use it).

Have you looked at the Tokina 11-16 review?

IMO, that lens looks excellent and will serve as a great third party alternative for an UWA lens.

I suggest that, since you are going to rent a 24-105L, rent also a 10-22UWA. You'll come home happy with all your landscape and tight indoor photos.

I have the Tokina 11-16, and the build quality is on par with Canon L series lenses. Very good, even a step up from sigma EX lenses, which are also very well built. I Have heard that the quality is similar throughout Tokina's line of lenses.

I own the Sigma 10/20 and love it! I'll be in Paris in a few months myself, can't wait!

How is the build quality on the sigma? A few things that are turning me away are that I hear that Tokina has fantastic build quality and that the sigma vignettes.

Not sure where you read the vignetting part from, I've never had that issue with mine at all. Build quality is solid, no complaints from me. When I was searching for UWA, everyone said Tokina 11-16, but at the time I had a d3000 and that lense would not AF on my body. Now with a d90, I probably would have given the 11-16 a good look. I can't complain though, I got my Sigma for 425 bucks NEW this past christmas.

Example shot: http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5128/5362648310_b47b8e78a7_b.jpg
I rarely shoot above 10mm lol.

I own the Sigma 10/20 and love it! I'll be in Paris in a few months myself, can't wait!

How is the build quality on the sigma? A few things that are turning me away are that I hear that Tokina has fantastic build quality and that the sigma vignettes.

Not sure where you read the vignetting part from, I've never had that issue with mine at all. Build quality is solid, no complaints from me. When I was searching for UWA, everyone said Tokina 11-16, but at the time I had a d3000 and that lense would not AF on my body. Now with a d90, I probably would have given the 11-16 a good look. I can't complain though, I got my Sigma for 425 bucks NEW this past christmas.

Example shot: http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5128/5362648310_b47b8e78a7_b.jpg
I rarely shoot above 10mm lol.

I have the Tokina 12-24mm and like it so far but haven't had too much time to play with it a lot. I'm still second-guessing not getting the Sigma 10-20mm for the extra-wide, but the net is littered with softness complaints/qc issues about it which scared me away...

Truthfully at f/8-11 it's not that soft at all. Whenever I use the 10/20 though, I always run it through a sharpening action to add the extra sharpness.

I love the extra wideness of it, the 10mm alone was worth getting it even with all the complaints.

Truthfully at f/8-11 it's not that soft at all. Whenever I use the 10/20 though, I always run it through a sharpening action to add the extra sharpness.

I love the extra wideness of it, the 10mm alone was worth getting it even with all the complaints.

It sounds like a crap shoot on whether you get a good sample with Sigma... but I have a feeling the more I use it the more I'm going to wish I had the extra 2mm. :meh:

I had the same feelings when doing my research too. I went for it all though and went for the extra 2mm, took a chance and I haven't regretted it at all.

Most reactions

Back