best adaptable lenses for fuji

I have the ais but have used them all. They all produce the same or similar images. I just like the form of ais more. It's my favorite lens, without a doubt.

I really want to try the 105 2.5 with my a6000, because I have been wanting a long portrait lens and, well, it's a legend. Would you consider that to be one of the lenses that was much better as AI/AIS? I actually had just settled on one, but couldn't pull the plug because B&H's website doesn't sell on Saturdays, lol! But maybe it's for the best, since it is non-Ai?

will Ai -vs- non Ai matter when adapting to mirrorless?

Voigtlander 40F1.4

DSC00856-XL.jpg

and a crop

DSC00856_1-XL.jpg

Jupiter 12 (35mm) wide open

DSC00877-XL.jpg

Voigtlander 50F1.5 asph

DSC01070%20copy-XL.jpg

cherylynne1 said:
I really want to try the 105 2.5 with my a6000, because I have been wanting a long portrait lens and, well, it's a legend. Would you consider that to be one of the lenses that was much better as AI/AIS? I actually had just settled on one, but couldn't pull the plug because B&H's website doesn't sell on Saturdays, lol! But maybe it's for the best, since it is non-Ai?

The non-Ai 105mm lens is built very solidly, and the chrome-and-black styling of the 1960's and 1970's is evident. I think the oldest is an old Sonnar design, and sometime in the 1960's it was modified. Go here for a rundown of the 105/2.5 variants, but as I understand it the Ai-S model has CrC, whihc is something Nikon invented, and that stands for Close-range Correction; this is why the 24/2.8 AiS is so much better a wide-angle than the old 1960's-1970's 24mm 2.8 lenses: CrC, for better performance with flatter field at close distances and better corners.

The 105/2.5 Ai-S has the new Ai-S cosmetics, and has a built-in sliding lens hood that's not removable; the Ai has older-looking cosmetics, and uses a screw-in or snap-in threaded type lens hood, and as I recall, the Ai has the slower-rate focusing travel, and likely a bit stiffer ring movement. Ai-S lenses got a cosmetic revamp in some ways: slicker barrel finish, more "polished" black finish; rubber looks more modern; sometimes the focusing ring front edge is angle for more dynamic look, and the focusing ring turns over a much shorter total arc, AND with a very light, free-and-easy, one-finger-light touch. Ai lenses have stiffer turning, much more force needed, and many turn far more degrees to go from Infinity to Minimum Focus Distance or MFD. Ai-S lenses all have a major difference too from all the earlier lenses: linear diaphragm travel. Ai-era lenses make a big clunky sound on a modern d-slr...it's noticeable, but will likely not be a NEX issue.

I have found that when using adapted lenses and focusing by EYE, using Nikon-on-Canon, that having a focusing ring that turns with more pressure needed is actually helpful. I got a 200/4 Ai--STIFF focusing as is normal for an AI lens, and a 200/4 AiS. I got both for stupid-cheap prices about a year apart...I payed $50 for the 200 Ai...I just could not pass that up. Anyway, on my 5D, I found that the stiffer 200/4 was EASIER to focus accurately than the Ai-S model.

The thing is this: when you ADD a teleconverter like a 1.4x or 2x to a telephoto lens, the focusing ring's travel becomes MORE 'hair-trigger-like', especially from Infinity in to about the 10 foot zone...if the ring moves too easily, it can miss focus...if it moves the focusing distance too far with too little ring turn...you miss focus a lot...in this very real way, the Ai-series lenses might actually be the better lenses for adapted use on a camera where the crop factor is 1.5x or 2.0x.

Most reactions

Back