Best All Around Flash

Felix 222

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Suggest me a good all around flash to use with my D40 and Nikkor 18-200mm 5.6 ED DX VR. I'm not sure where to start looking or what to pay! Recommendations, info, and links are much appreciated!

For what would you use the flash for?

SB-600.

Small, powerful, can be used wirelessly when you upgrade, can swivel any direction, backwards compatible with any nikon with a hot shoe, and it's cheap.

My point was whether a SB-400 would suit her needs. For a D40 it makes a lot of sense - it can still bounce, it's a lot lighter and it's cheaper still. SB-600's come more in handy once you start to upgrade to more complicated lighting setups with wireless triggering.

My point was whether a SB-400 would suit her needs. For a D40 it makes a lot of sense - it can still bounce, it's a lot lighter and it's cheaper still. SB-600's come more in handy once you start to upgrade to more complicated lighting setups with wireless triggering.

I disagree, the SB-400 can't swivel left or right. If you're shooting vertically, you're SOL with bouncing off a white ceiling, and you nuke the guy next to you.

It also only used 2 AA batteries, that's not a whole lot.

I disagree, the SB-400 can't swivel left or right. If you're shooting vertically, you're SOL with bouncing off a white ceiling, and you nuke the guy next to you.

It also only used 2 AA batteries, that's not a whole lot.

How often does the average joe shoot vertically though? and how again does turning the flash help in that case (since you'll be nuking the guy to your left or right rather than the guy behind you)?

How often does the average joe shoot vertically though? and how again does turning the flash help in that case (since you'll be nuking the guy to your left or right rather than the guy behind you)?

The camera gets turned to vertical I would guess within 10 shots of first getting it. The SB-600 can be swiveled such that it is pointing to the ceiling when the camera is vertical. I have a SB-400, bought on a whim, and just never use it. SB-600 is a good little flash if one does not want to spend what an SB-900 costs.

How often does the average joe shoot vertically though?
i'm sure alot.

and how again does turning the flash help in that case (since you'll be nuking the guy to your left or right rather than the guy behind you)?
Think about it, if you shoot vertically, you swivel the head left or right, so the head is facing the ceiling. The SB400 can only swivel on one axis, so you would only be able to face the left or right (depending on camera orientation), not up or down in that situation.

Ah crap, my bad - my brain's fried, I was thinking "shoot vertically" as in pointing the lens up at the ceiling, not portraiture orientation XD

Yeah, in that case - I'd probably go with the SB-600 then at a minimum.

Agree with the SB-600. I also like the SB-800 a wee bit more.

Depends on your budget.

For what would you use the flash for?
sorry, i should have included this in my first post! i'll use it for mostly portraits, nature, and some sports.

but as of now, the sb600 seems like my best bet! is it worth spending the extra money over the 400? do the flashes hold their value like lenses?

just get the 600, it's only $200.

Yeah, get the SB-600 then. Most definitely worth spending the extra money on, if you can afford it.

Flashes not only hold their value, they sometimes go up in value. I remember the SB-600 used to retail for $175 brand new at B&H at one point with the SB-800 at around $300 or so - now the SB-600 goes for $225 new and the SB-800 goes for $350-$400 used or so (mainly because Nikon dropped film TTL from the SB-900 and increased the bulk to the point of absurdity - how stupid is that?!) However - flashes eventually burn out and have to have their bulbs replaced which is a hassle, so down the road if you're thinking on selling - don't wait too long hehe.

Most reactions

Back