Best Bokeh in a Vintage Lens?

OhNo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm planning a super low budget narrative film. I've been reading on these boards about the fantastic quality of some of these vintage lenses. There are a lot of opinions out there so I'd just like to ask you folks if I was making the right choice before I put down my cash.

Can anyone recommend a pretty sharp lens vintage lens with exceptional bokeh? I'd be using it for mediums and close ups. I'm willing to spend up to $200 per lens. I've heard good things about the Helios m7 58 mm and the MIR 24 35 mm, so those are my two choices at the moment.

If anyone could give me some advice I'd very much appreciate it! All this research is getting confusing :lol: Thanks in advance!

(I'm shooting raw on my hacked canon 50d, which has a 1.6 crop factor.)

The older O.C. Nikkor 35mm f/2 has nice bokeh, and is affordable these days. It's a manual focus mid-1960's design.

Try Helios 42/2!! It's a great old lens. I bought one from Russia (about 40€).

For $200 you could try to get a real Biotar lens. The Helios' are ok but it's some kind of a gamble to get a stellar performer or a lemon. Then there is the 50 1.4 Yashinon in C/Y mount which is even faster and benefits of the original Planar design by Zeiss (same plant btw.).

Most reactions

New Topics

Back