Best Book/Video Resource

dustin0479

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
What would you suggest as the best resource for a beginning photographer? Any disks, video's books that come to mind?

First one to say Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson!

What would you suggest as the best resource for a beginning photographer? Any disks, video's books that come to mind?
Bunches.

This question gets asked on a regular basis, 2 or 3 times a month. If you use the forum search feature you'll be able to compile quite a list.
Here, I'll do it for you:
http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/search.php?searchid=3311988

+1 on the 3 inexpensive books by Bryan Peterson. Visit www.cambridgeincolor.com and www.youtube.com too.

Scott Kelby has a nice inexpensive 3 book series of digital photography tutorials.

Great! Thank you!

Right now we have a Canon Eos Rebel but we are trying to decide what camera to upgrade to. Eventually (over time) the wife would like the ability to do weddings and events, outdoors and indoors.
Any suggestions?
D300/D700? any cheaper models that would work well for that type of photography?

Well do you want to change camera systems? Or do you want to stick with Canon? D300 and D700 are both Nikon models.

However, if you're just starting out and looking for introductory literature, I'd put the thought of doing weddings and events on the back-burner for a few years. You've got a long road ahead of you. And upgrading your camera body will not make you 'ready' to do weddings.

Definitely a "down the road" potential plan. I am not really tied to any brand at the moment. The purpose of upgrading is to avoid any bumps in the road in terms of learning curve from using an inferior camera.
Do you think there is any harm in using the Rebel or do you agree an upgrade would help while learning?

Definitely a "down the road" potential plan. I am not really tied to any brand at the moment. The purpose of upgrading is to avoid any bumps in the road in terms of learning curve from using an inferior camera.
Do you think there is any harm in using the Rebel or do you agree an upgrade would help while learning?

There's absolutely no harm in using a Rebel. They're great cameras. They're smaller, and lighter than pro-sumer bodies, but they don't have ALL the bells and whistles.

However, what you'll find is that when you learn how to meter, compose, the relationship between aperture, ISO, and shutterspeed... It will carry to whatever camera platform you decide to move to. The only thing that will change is the buttons, and their placement on the camera body. Perhaps another thumb wheel as well.

I think once you get some starter literature, you'll find that your Rebel is a great camera to learn on, and it will offer more possibilities as your lens collection increases.

Good luck!

Thanks again!
Also to clarify i have the Canon Eos Rebel XT 8mp version, bought it several years ago when they first came out. I have noticed they now have Rebel models up to 18mp. Still think it is good enough to efficiently learn from or would a smaller step up to something like a 60D or T2i be suitable.
Sorry for all the questions....

Megapixels should be the least of your concern. It's mostly a marketing ploy, but it has some importance when you're looking at printing large.

I think the XT will serve your purposes just fine, and unless you NEED to shoot video, or NEED a new camera body because yours is faulty, then I'd save your money or invest it in glass. Buying a new camera body will not help you learn the principles of photography any better, it also won't make your photos better.

Like I said before, focus on the fundamentals.

Learn ABOUT your camera, and then apply that knowledge and learn FROM your camera. You'll be glad you did. :thumbup:

Great reply and just what i was looking for!
Thanks

Most reactions

New Topics

Back